In a nutshell:
IDEO Shanghai is in search of a Talent Director to be a strong business partner to collaborate with our leadership and talent team. You will help grow and develop our people, strategize on talent and business needs, and manage aspects of our Talent/HR function to align with our studio goals.
We are looking for a high energy, self-directed individual who is patient, optimistic, and a creative problem solver. You will represent IDEO in an energetic and professional manner, both internally and externally. Flexibility, curiosity, and prioritization are key given the dynamic nature of the role and our studio.
Why is this role important for IDEO’s work?
IDEO Shanghai is helping to lead the way for what cutting edge work looks like for IDEO. We are also located in one of the most exciting and changing markets in the world. Put these two things together, it makes it an exciting and rewarding opportunity for a Talent Director to shape the experience of IDEOers at all levels of the organization— from brand new talent to leadership, through your guidance and coaching.
IDEO is a creative and dynamic community filled with individuals who love what they do and are committed to helping others be successful. Our talent processes and approaches are not one-size-fits-all. Finding the right people to add to our team, and helping them succeed in their careers is a creative challenge — a human-centered one.
Once here you will:
- Provide coaching to the leadership group on a variety of actions including talent management and development, employee relations, policy interpretation, and organizational design, balancing the strategic and the tactical.
- Act as the first point of contact for people-related concerns, for all employees. Be a confidential and welcoming resource and develop strong relationships.
- Lead the local talent team, and drive the talent related practices for the studio including but not limited to: people policy, compensation & benefit, performance management, recruiting, onboarding & offboarding, mobility, and learning & development.
- Work closely with IDEO’s regional and global talent team on global initiatives. Provide input to influence global talent policies and implement global initiatives locally.
- Provide clear guidance and perspective on how to manage employee relations; Coach others on the talent team and leadership teams to address and resolve employee issues promptly, effectively, and objectively while staying aligned with IDEO’s policies and culture.
- Oversee the performance management process and provide guidance to leaders on employee reviews and evaluations.
- Partner closely with the regional talent leader, the shanghai leadership and hiring team to evolve and execute on hiring strategy. This may include progress tracking, propose initiatives to improve talent acquisition programs & processes, find and implement efficiencies, propose and deliver recruitment-related training initiatives, drive creative pipeline building/sourcing strategies.
- Collaborate with talent leaders across IDEO (i.e., L&D, Recruiting) to iterate on and deliver on our talent offerings.
- Supervise and develop the talent team; promote professional growth, and set objectives for the team and guide them through the process.
- Communicate and enforce IDEO’s values in compliance with all legal and organizational requirements, standards, and procedures.
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO is a place unlike any other. It’s a place where you can solve complex challenges for our clients or the organization, alongside thoughtful individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. Sure we work hard, but we also craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the design process and your career.
- 10+ years of experience, preferably in an HR leadership role. Experience at multinational companies is preferred.
- Have a deep understanding of all the foundational HR pillars (employee relations, learning and development, talent management, performance management, organizational development, talent acquisition and employee engagement...etc.)
- Business-minded. Can successfully balance employee needs with business objectives to create integrated solutions.
- Strong in communication and presentation skills and the ability to deal effectively, empathetically, and courteously with all levels of employees and leaders.
- Committed to the professional development of the Talent/HR team. Able to coach, mentor, and support upward growth of team members.
- Masterful in interpersonal and listening skills, demonstrate empathy for others, and thrive at building solid relationships based on trust.
- Exceptionally organized, attention to detail and ability to prioritize.
- Able to thrive in an ambiguous and rapidly changing environment.
- Experience and interest in working in a creative and entrepreneurial environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in both internal and external capacities, preferably in both English and Chinese.
Application requirements and instructions:
Please apply online by uploading your resume and cover letter. In your cover letter, please help us understand why you are a good fit for this role.
Equal Opportunity Employer
IDEO is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.