In a nutshell:
IDEO Shanghai is in search of a Creative Community Manager to build and resource multi-disciplinary project teams in service of talent growth and business needs. As a key member of the Talent Team, the Creative Community Manager will build, grow and maintain a community of creative talents and project contributors within and beyond IDEO. They love to work with people and thrives in the “human” aspect of resourcing creative talent and sourcing creative talents with deep craft. The ideal candidate will be able to balance the complex needs of project team-building with individual creatives’ needs, their career growth path and IDEO’s business goals.
Why is this role important for IDEO’s work?
IDEO is not a corporate organization or culture. We are a very non-hierarchical, non-traditional, creative and dynamic organization. Our community loves what they do and is committed to making others successful. Our project team-building process is not paint-by-number, but rather a creative challenge to help our people advance their careers. While there are certain things that are given for this role, there is no basic staffing formula.. This means there is a fairly “blank canvas” of talent that needs to be filled creatively.
The Creative Community Manager will create impact by building amazing project teams. They have the ability to shape the experience of project team members (IDEO designers and director, our network of domain experts, collaborators…etc.) throughout the team-building process. We count on this person to staff needs in a timely manner while maintaining deep relationships and providing trusted advice.
Once here you will:
- Build, grow and maintain a creative community of like-minded creatives beyond IDEO inspired to contribute to IDEO projects.
- Build a creative community: actively build, grow and maintain engagement with IDEO’s freelance, contractor and domain-expert network with support from our design directors,
- Support the experience and growth of our talent: Work with design directors, experience team and talent team to bring people together, nurture a diverse community of creative talents / partners, and foster a strong creative culture via unique and impactful experiences
- Grow new relationships and expand our network: Identify and help bridge new relationships to people, brands, and interest groups with the aim to grow IDEO’s engagement with the creative community and external partners.
Build / resource multi-disciplinary IDEO teams on projects in service of talent growth and business needs.
- Understand resourcing needs: Work closely with project teams to understand the staffing needs on all active projects, as well as the pipeline of potential upcoming projects
- Connect unique project needs with the right talents: Work with design directors to facilitate world class design by matching project staffing needs with available talent resources inside and outside IDEO, taking into consideration their capabilities, interests, and bandwidths
- Track resource availability and utilization: Maintain and provide ongoing visibility into resource utilization and availability
- Continuously improve project team building: Solicit feedback on the resourcing process and improve our approach / process as needed
Bridge the experience of external partners and IDEO projects to ensure smooth integration in service of building a high functional team that will creating meaningful and impactful work.
- External Partner Onboarding: Onboard external partners (e.g. experts, freelancers, agencies) to ensure a smooth integration into project team and make them successful
- External Partner Administration: Oversee all administrative duties associated with the sourcing and integration of freelancers. (i.e. organize and maintain our talent databases; manage project requests, contracts, timesheets, and invoicing)
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO is a place unlike any other. It’s a place where you can solve diverse, complex challenges for our clients or the organization, alongside thoughtful, intelligent individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. Sure we work hard, but we also intentionally craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the design process and your career.
As a Creative Resource Manager in our Shanghai studio, we provide the opportunity for you to:
- Be part of a local and global talent team working on meaningful talent initiatives
- The opportunity to create and orchestrate powerful multi-disciplinary project teams in service of people's growth and in service of the business
- Exposure to the power of design and creativity to solve complex business challenges
- Autonomy and ownership in building the systems and tools that will identify, track and retain a powerful creative network outside of IDEO
- Forge close relationships with amazing people both inside and outside of IDEO
- Work in an open environment that is shared by IDEOers of all disciplines and levels
Relevant experience and mindset:
- You have 5+ years of experience as a resource manager in a creative environment with rapidly changing project needs
- You maintain a high level of flexibility, diplomacy, level-headedness and fortitude in a fast-moving environment
- You’re able to deftly navigate ambiguous situations, identify problems, prioritize needs, and proactively find creative solutions
- Demonstrated the ability to stay calm under pressure, problem solve better than anyone, and have incredible interpersonal skills
- You know what it takes to get our deliverables built; from decks, to exhibits, to prototypes, and the type of talent that’s necessary to get the job done
- You have a deep understanding of creative workflow, skill-sets, and synergies. You are able to understand complex briefs and project requirements in addition to recognizing the potential risks and dependencies relevant to staffing that work
- You are enthusiastic to collaborate with a variety of personalities and workstyle and passionate about building, supporting and nurturing creative teams
- You enjoy meeting new and interesting people and have good intuition on what makes a person tick and how to put together a perfect team that hums
- You are interested in and passionate about building and growing a purpose-driven creative community and explore what is possible for the future of design together
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, both Chinese and English
- Exemplary communication, time management and organizational skills
- Passion and understanding for IDEO’s mission and values
Question about you:
Tell us about a time when you were in charge of something and it all went horribly wrong. What did you do to get it back on track?
What superpower do you have to contribute that would help support IDEO’s Shanghai studio?
Application requirements and instructions:
If you have a fresh perspective on your area of focus, identify with our values and we would love to see your resume and cover letter (addressing the pop quiz above)
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
IDEO is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
CURIOUS ABOUT IDEO'S HIRING PROCESS?
Check out Inside Scoop to get the low-down.
At IDEO, we are committed to the work of advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion within our organization and in the world.
Our purpose of having disproportionate, world-changing impact through design is directly connected to our ability to bring many different perspectives to the table. This applies to our candidates, the people we hire, the clients and customers we serve, and the communities we learn from in our research.
As a human-centered organization, we are committed to working with and designing for people of every race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, socio-economic status, physical ability or attribute, religion, national origin, or political belief. We recognize that this commitment requires ongoing work and sustained attention, as well as adaptation to new insights and best practices.
California Residents, please click here to learn more about your personal data rights under CCPA.