In a nutshell:
We are seeking a Japanese/English bilingual Marketing & Community Specialist to join the D4V (Design for Ventures) Team in Tokyo.
As a Marketing & Community Specialist, you will act as an ambassador of D4V towards the media, the venture community, and the general public in Japan and beyond. You will interface with multiple stakeholders (e.g. D4V’s General Partners, Limited Partners, Portfolio Companies, IDEO Designers) and help tell stories, plan events, and bring communities together to elevate D4V’s mission and purpose.
NOTE: This is a role with D4V, working directly with the D4V Team and selected IDEO members. D4V and IDEO are co-located in IDEO Tokyo’s Studio in the Omotesando neighborhood. More information about D4V.
D4V (Design for Ventures) is a venture capital firm in partnership with IDEO. We enable early stage Japanese ventures to create impact in the world through design, insights, capital, mentorship and networks.
As a new player in Japan’s venture ecosystem, we aim at unlocking Japan’s creativity and entrepreneurial spirit by co-creating with the ventures in which we invest.
The D4V Team helps ventures thought its entrepreneurial, financial and managerial experience, and harnesses IDEO’s collective know-how, resources, and networks to build products and services, ship to users, get market traction, raise capital, and scale beyond Japan.
Once here you will:
Marketing & Communications
- Drive and contribute to the process of setting the marketing strategy and plan to raise visibility, awareness and preference for D4V.
- Actively manage D4V’s social media presence (i.e. Facebook, IG, Twitter, Medium, email newsletter etc.)
- Manage, field and research marketing and media inquiries from journalists, individuals, academia, and other organizations and keep a database of contacts.
- Manage media opportunities and work internally with relevant individuals on messaging and presentations.
- Actively monitor the Venture Capital and startups market for relevant developments and establish market awareness.
- Curate a bank of assets that showcase D4V content, services, methods and culture and actively sharing these with colleagues, partners and media.
- Work closely with IDEO marketing colleagues in Tokyo and other parts of the world to leverage news, stories of IDEO’s work and thought leadership where appropriate.
Community & Events
- Build and maintain an active community for portfolio companies, to learn from and guide one another
- Foster external relations through a portfolio of activities including events, seminars, know-hows, exhibitions, tours, and media relations.
- Collaborate with D4V team to plan and execute the annual Limited Partners meeting, and bi-annual leadership offsites.
- Be proactive and responsive to the needs of D4V’s General Partners, Limited Partners, and Portfolio companies.
- Coach D4V and IDEO teams and people on messaging and media opportunities.
Relevant experience and mindset:
- Excellent Japanese (native) and English verbal and written skills.
- Experience working in a creative environment in PR and/or Marcom (Marketing & Communications). Venture-related experience a plus.
- At least 3 years of working experience, primarily with businesses located in Japan
- Experience working with a variety of media from online, to print, to broadcast.
- Proven track record using social media and web-based channels as marketing tools.
- Excellent writing skills and articulate, accurate, and timely communication to build and sustain momentum.
- Ability to keep an eye on the big picture while managing the details.
- A passion for entrepreneurship, Japan’s venture ecosystem, marketing and design.
- Compelling interpersonal, networking, communication, and presentation skills.
- Be extremely detail-oriented, and have excellent follow-through, devoted to seeing tasks complete
- Self-directed toward excellent work outcomes, comfort level in ambiguous, non-rules based environments.
- Great flexibility, and an openness to new ideas. Comfort level with having partners unfamiliar and sometimes uncomfortable with our process and way of thinking.
- Knowledge of Mac platform, well versed in Microsoft Office / Google Docs, Keynote / Powerpoint, Gmail, and very comfortable using the Internet as a research tool
- Ability to travel occasionally
- Excellent discretion, demonstrating sound judgment in dealing with confidential dialogues and information
What does D4V offer you?
D4V and IDEO are places unlike any other. A place where you can enable new ventures to grow, alongside thoughtful individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. We work hard, but we also craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in your career.
Questions for you:
Please answer the following questions in addition to your cover letter:
1. If you were to help coordinate /write the next blog post for D4V, what would you write about?
2. If you were to invite a guest speaker to inspire D4V's Portfolio Companies, who would it be and why?
Please submit your resume, cover letter, answer to the above question, and relevant work samples/portfolio (in English).