In a nutshell:
We are seeking an Interaction Designer to join our Tokyo Studio. As an Interaction Designer, you will work with designers of different backgrounds to turn bold new ideas into tangible products and services that improve people’s lives.
Note: this is not a remote role. While at present we're predominantly working remotely, we will be adopting a hybrid working model from 2022 and physical presence in our Tokyo Studio will be required at times.
Why is this role important for IDEO’s work?
IDEO Tokyo’s mission is to help enable change in Japan through design and creativity.
Our purpose is to partner with organizations to help them build resilient and inclusive futures they can own--we do this through a deep focus on empathy, optimism, and a rigorous approach to making strategy tangible by using creativity as a complement to analytical reasoning.
Interaction Designers create impact by building immersive, compelling experiences with digital at their core. As an Interaction Designer at IDEO, you will design, prototype, and execute delightful human experiences which act as the interface between an organization’s customers and their products, services, and brand.
Why IDEO Tokyo?
IDEO Tokyo’s mission is to help enable change in Japan through design and creativity. As part of a small studio that is still growing, this person must demonstrate a collaborative working style, great communication skills, and the ability to thrive in a non-rules based environment of creative innovation.
Once here you will:
- Work on projects that identify and solve problems across a variety of industries with organizations large and small, established and new.
- Work on a wide range of digital platforms such as mobile, web, TV, and physical/connected devices
- Design transformative interactive experiences through front-end user interfaces, narrative storytelling, systems thinking, prototyping, even creating production-ready assets
- Work across all parts of the design process: user research, concept development, prototyping, strategy design, UX + UI, collaborating with development teams, and design stewardship across platforms.
What does IDEO offer you?
Ask anyone at IDEO why they like working here, and they will say it’s our people and the diversity of challenges. It’s a place where you can solve complex challenges for people, organizations and society, alongside thoughtful, intelligent individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism.
We certainly work hard, but we also intentionally create an environment and culture where we’re able to pause, create, and connect.
We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work and respect the need for work-life balance. IDEO provides you support and development throughout your time here, while allowing for autonomy in your daily work and in your career.
Relevant experience and mindset:
- 3–5 years of interaction design experience in a design studio or creative consultancy.
- Bachelor’s and/or graduate degree in Interaction Design, Graphic Design, New Media, HCI, or other relevant degree.
- Strong portfolio and elevated sense of design: you know the difference between “good” and “great” and are able to work through team dynamics, clients and timelines to deliver excellent design.
- Extensive experience with a variety of visual and interactive prototyping tools (e.g. Figma, Adobe Creative Suite, Origami, Protopie, Framer, etc). Ability to work with video is a plus.
- Familiarity with augmented and virtual reality prototyping tools and workflows (e.g. 3D design, Unity, Unreal Engine, ARKit, SparkAR, etc) is a strong plus.
- Prototyping: You are ready to learn from failure, embrace an iterative process, and you understand that success comes sooner with trial and error. You have hands-on experience in creating low and high fidelity prototypes, at speed.
- Systems thinking: You love complex questions and use your work to communicate that complexity in simple ways.
- Team skills: You work best in a participatory, team-based environment. You support and inspire teams through collaboration as well as direction, vision, and planning of deliverables.
- Communication: You have strong verbal and visual presentation skills, as well as an articulate point of view about design. You understand the value of design within a business context.
- Openness: Designers need to be flexible and open-minded. You are optimistic, generative, and open to new ideas and ways of working.
- Human-centered: You can articulate a human-centered approach to design and are comfortable going out into the world for inspiration. You understand basic human-centered design philosophy, embrace ambiguity, and want to continually evolve design methodologies.
- Strong English written and verbal skills. Any knowledge of Japanese language and/or willingness to learn is a plus.
Some previous projects to check out:
- Levi’s Commuter Trucker Jacket with Jacquard by Google: When Google teamed up with Levi’s to craft a jacket with technology woven in, the company turned to IDEO to help make the experience of wearing the garment feel seamless, intuitive, and familiar.
- Future of Automobility: An online visualization of how life with driverless cars might really look and feel. It considers four scenarios: “Moving People,” which looks at how commutes will change when we can look away from the road; “Moving Things,” where we examine automated package-delivery fleets; “Moving Spaces,” where we envision mobile offices meeting people where they live and parking in underused areas of our cities; and “Moving Together,” which explores how the interior of future vehicles will be customized to meet our personal needs during ride-sharing.
- Revitalizing Prefectural Food Industries with NJC’s Fudoloop: Fudoloop is an app that enables farmers and wholesalers to conduct business more profitably by bringing transparency to the fluctuating produce market. Wholesalers can receive information from farmers a day in advance, and can coordinate the various requests of buyers, such as order size, production location and other special requests.
- Designing a New App Experience with JR East: When planning to update their existing JR East service’s app, they considered what would make for a more user centered experience and teamed up with IDEO to help keep people at the forefront of how they design and maintain their app experience
- Designing a Better Onboarding Experience for the AI Symptom Checker, Ubie: Ubie approached D4V—who partners with IDEO—to help rethink the onboarding experience and quickly facilitate the introduction of AI Monshin Ubie in regional clinics across Japan.
Application requirements and instructions:
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and a link to your portfolio or work samples of interaction design. In particular, we want to hear about the process involved in developing the design or project. Please indicate your role and contribution for each project submitted.
Equal Opportunity Employer
IDEO is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.