In a nutshell:
IDEO London is in search of an Interaction Design Lead to join our team.
Ideal candidates will have experience of leading projects and collaborating with teams and clients through design thinking processes to solve challenges by integrating digital designs into products, services, experiences, spaces, and brands.
We are looking for someone who is equally passionate about designing elegant user experiences as much as using systems thinking and human-centred design as a source of inspiration to solve complex problems.
In this role you’ll be involved in all parts of the design process: proposal writing, user research, inspiration, concept development, leading multidisciplinary teams, prototyping, and design stewardship.
Your projects will be focused on creating impact, delivering products and services across a variety of industries.
Why is this role important for IDEO’s work?
Interaction Design Leads are designers and often project leaders on our work. A project or content lead is one of IDEO’s most valued roles. You are central to shaping our work, our teams, evolving IDEO’s process, and nurturing great client relationships.
You’ll focus on some of the most impactful work we do and lead projects that bring about change inside and outside of IDEO. Working at IDEO means you’ll tackle all aspects of the design process from user research to physical and digital prototyping to helping tell the project story to the client. You are not just recreating what has worked, but inventing new interaction paradigms.
Once here you will:
- Focus on a range of large-scale and complex challenges. Key activities include design leadership, structured thinking to inform information architectures and other conceptual frameworks, talent development, and business development.
- Have the opportunity to develop a unique point of view about the ways media and technology are impacting human behaviours and attitudes.
- You’ll go out into the world for inspiration and use research-based insights to spot opportunities for innovation within constraints.
- You’ll champion the impact of design on everyday life.
- You’ll build an understanding of the value and dynamics of client organizations and partner with clients to drive innovation.
- You’ll design digital, service, organizational, and systems experiences; think beyond screen UI.
- Solve problems for clients in many categories and industries such as healthcare, automotive, finance and consumer products
- You’ll work with an incredibly diverse and passionate group of world-class designers on a wide array of local and global challenges.
- Learn on the edges of your field and continuously broaden your ‘T’
- Some global travel for clients and other IDEO studios
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO is a place unlike any other. It’s a place where you can solve diverse, complex challenges for our clients, alongside thoughtful, intelligent individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. We work hard, but we also intentionally craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the design process and your career.
Some previous projects to check out:
Zalando Driving growth at Europe’s largest online fashion retailer
The Times & the Sunday Times Designing a multi-layered, multimedia content strategy for a venerable British newspaper
INFARM Designing the Future of Urban Farming
Making digital healthcare more human-centred .
Relevant experience & Mindset
- Experienced interaction designer with a large portfolio of work across a variety of digital media.
- A Bachelor / Masters degree in Interaction Design / Human-Computer Interaction or equivalent relevant work experience
- You’re a confident and flexible leader of interdisciplinary teams where collaboration is imperative; your sweet spot is the intersection of design, technology, and social impact.
- You’re a systems thinker; you love solving big, hairy problems and can logically visualize complex systems, user interaction flows, and beautiful user interface.
- You’re agile; you can nurture a cohesive product vision and finesse visual designs at a vector or pixel level, if necessary.
- You get what it takes to build something – regardless of the means. Overseeing a development partner or working with an in-house team, you’re comfortable vetting and aligning partners, and shepherding stakeholders on the journey of bringing software to market.
- Prototyping: You understand that you succeed sooner by trial and understand that digital prototyping can be done at various levels of fidelity and have experience doing and leading that work. Static printouts of a screen won't cut it. Interactions are just that – a visceral experience over time integrating flow and animation.
- Extensive experience with a variety of graphic design and interactive tools such as Illustrator, Sketch, HTML/JS/CSS, InVision, Principle, and After Effects.
- A passion for design, a pulse on emerging trends and technology, and a developed point of view about your work.
- You can articulate a human-centred approach to design and be comfortable going out into the world for inspiration. You understand basic human-centred design philosophy, are comfortable with ambiguity and want to push design methodologies.
- You can relate to individuals and nurture talent. You give and solicit feedback from other designers in order to continually raise our bar for quality.
- You are able to distinguish between “good” and “great” work and are able to design flows and experiences that are simple and elegant.
Application requirements and instructions:
Please submit a resume, cover letter (yes, we read cover letters), and a portfolio .pdf or link.