In a nutshell:
IDEO Tokyo is in search of a Japanese/English bilingual Industrial Designer to join our studio. As an Industrial Designer, you will work with designers of different backgrounds to turn bold new ideas into tangible products and services that improve people’s lives.
Why is this role important for IDEO’s work?
An Industrial Designer will make the biggest impact by bringing new ideas, perspective, and passion to the team. Your skillset is critical to our work because you are more than an extra pair of hands. Your original mind, paired with good tech skills and lots of energy help us push our craft forward.
Once here you will:
- Work with people that come from diverse backgrounds (like design researchers, communication designers, business designers, and interaction designers)
- Get exposure to and involved with all aspects of the design process: user research, brainstorming, concept development, prototyping, working with engineers and manufacturers and design stewardship
- Go out in the field and build empathy with a user through activities
- Become a part of a culture that lets you both learn and teach while working with people outside of your immediate area of expertise
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO is a place unlike any other. It’s a place where you can solve diverse, complex challenges for our clients or the organization, alongside thoughtful, intelligent individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. Sure we work hard, but we also intentionally craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the design process and your career.
Some previous projects to check out:
Relevant experience and mindset:
- You have strong Japanese and English verbal and written skills
- You have completed an undergraduate or graduate degree in Product or Industrial Design (or equivalent)
- You have minimum 5 years professional experience in executing design, and a minimum of 3 years of consulting work or running your own business
- You have experience in leading clients and teams through the design process, and direct experience with Japanese clients
- You have strong visualization skills: from quick concept sketching to complete presentation sketches, 3D CAD modeling (Solidworks, Rhino, Fusion 360 or similar programs) to rendering (Keyshot, Cinema 4D or other similar programs).
- You have knowledge of manufacturing processes and working closely with engineers, delivering engineering drawings and specifying CMF (colors, material, and finishes)
- You have experience in designing products that have both physical and digital components
- You have excellent storytelling and narrative skills especially around your craft as well as outstanding communication, presentation, and design team collaboration skill
- You are self-directed toward excellent work outcomes, comfort level in ambiguous, non-rules based environments
- You have excellent discretion, demonstrating sound judgment in dealing with confidential dialogues and information
- You have the ability to travel occasionally
Question about you:
Please include your answer to the following question in your cover letter.
If you could redesign any object or experience: what would it be, why should it be redesigned, how might you make it better, what would be your design approach?
Application requirements and instructions:
IDEO values people who are optimistic, collaborative, who take ownership, embrace ambiguity, talk less do more, can learn from failure, and have the want to make others successful.
To apply, please submit your resume (including your level of Japanese), cover letter, and portfolio. Your portfolio should include at least 4 examples of work-related projects. In particular, we want to hear about the process involved in developing the design or project. Bonus points if you include a few projects you have worked on for fun.
Equal Opportunity Employer
IDEO is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.