In a nutshell:
IDEO San Francisco is in search of a contract Creative Resource Manager to ensure IDEO projects are well staffed when we need to look beyond our internal talent pool. As a key part of the Talent Team, the Creative Resource Manager thrives in the “human” aspect of resourcing creative talent – finding unicorns – and loves to work with people.
The right candidate is motivated by helping others (individuals and teams) succeed and thrive.
Why is this role important for IDEO’s work?
The Creative Resource Manager makes the biggest impact by staffing amazing project teams, which are a critical part of our business and at the heart of the work we do. They shape the experience that external talent has while working with IDEO. We count on this person to staff needs in a timely manner while maintaining relationships and providing trusted advice.
IDEO is not a traditional corporate organization or culture. It is a creative and dynamic organization filled with a community who love what they do and are committed to helping others be successful. Our resourcing process is not paint by number. To us, helping our people and their careers succeed and thrive at IDEO is a creative challenge. While there are certain things that are a given for this role, there is no basic staffing recipe or fixed project structure that requires routine execution.
Once here you will:
- Work closely with the internal Team Building Lead to understand the staffing needs on all active projects, as well as the pipeline of potential upcoming projects
- Work closely with our community to confirm resource needs for both active and potential projects promptly, while taking bandwidth, capabilities and interests into consideration
- Maintain and provide ongoing visibility into resource utilization and availability
- Solicit feedback on the resourcing process and make adjustments as needed
- Connect the right freelancer (and their unique set of skills and talents) with the discrete needs of a design team, understanding the nuanced talents and contributions necessary to facilitate world class design.
- Oversee all administrative duties associated with the sourcing and integration of freelancers. (i.e. organize and maintain our talent databases; manage project requests, contracts, timesheets, and invoicing)
- With support from our design directors, actively grow and support our freelancer network by scouting and recruiting new freelancers
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO is a place unlike any other. It’s a place where you can solve complex challenges for our clients or the organization, alongside thoughtful individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. Sure we work hard, but we also craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the design process and your career.
As a Creative Resource Manager in our San Francisco studio, we provide the opportunity for you to:
- Be part of a local and global talent team working on cutting-edge talent initiatives
- Practice a non-transactional approach to creative resourcing that balances business needs and learning opportunities
- Forge close relationships with amazing people both inside and outside of IDEO
- Work in an open environment that is shared by IDEOers of all disciplines and levels
Some previous projects to check out:
IDEO is home to the world’s best designers. We work in a variety of industries, from technology (both hardware and software) to healthcare, consumer products, education, food and beverage, fashion, retail, transportation and financial services. San Francisco focuses on creating physical and digital experiences in food, education, service and organizational design. You name it, we’ve built something cool in that space.
Designing a Fintech Startup for Socially-Conscious Investors
Designing a School System from the Ground Up
Designing a Brand to Scale Big
Learn more about us at www.ideo.com
Relevant experience and mindset:
- 3+ years of experience as a resource manager or project manager in a creative environment with rapidly changing project needs
- You maintain a high level of flexibility, diplomacy, level-headedness and fortitude in a fast-moving environment
- You’re able to deftly navigate ambiguous situations, identify problems, and proactively find creative solutions
- Requests are often last minute. You stay calm while problem solving under pressure and have great interpersonal skills
- You know what it takes to get our deliverables built; from decks, to exhibits, to prototypes, and the type of talent that’s necessary to get the job done
- You have a deep understanding of creative workflow, skill sets, and synergies. You are able to understand complex briefs and project requirements in addition to recognizing the potential risks and dependencies relevant to staffing that work
- You are passionate about building, supporting and nurturing creative teams
Nice to have:
- Experience in Film, Photo, Print or Digital Production a plus
Pop quiz, Hot Shot:
- What superpower would you contribute to IDEO? What would you describe as the light and shadow, or the upside and the downside that go together with this superpower?
- Approximately 7 months; March - October
- Full-time: 40 hours per week
- Needs to be able to work in-house at IDEO San Francisco
Application requirements and instructions:
Please apply online by uploading your resume and cover letter including your pop quiz question answer.
Equal Opportunity Employer
IDEO is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.