In a nutshell:
IDEO New York is in search of a Senior Experience Coordinator, a critical role in our business and our community. Our new colleague will set the strategy for delivering extraordinary experiences in our workspace, promote the success of design teams and our studio as a whole, and strategically elevate the bar for how we envision experience for IDEO and our clients.
Why is this role important for IDEO’s work?
Senior Experience Coordinators will make the most significant impact by invigorating the workplace with the same values and beliefs in design excellence as seen in the work we do with clients. Their skill set is critical to our business because they treat large and small “moments” with equal potential to inspire people and curate signature interactions. Sometimes this means planning ahead for formal events in order to deliver signature interactions. Sometimes it means shifts in protocols or furniture that refresh our state of mind on a daily basis. They will need to think in terms of people, contexts, company values, cultural tensions, and community building.
Once here you will:
- Work with studio leadership to provide direction for the Experience team, as well as establish and execute the experience strategy for the location.
- Partner with the Experience team to nurture a diverse community of designers via unique and impactful experiences including day-to-day activities, weekly events, and longer-term projects.
- Devise and deliver major client and public events hosted in our studio. Establish guidelines for events and build clear processes for scaling events up or down.
- Design and help stage hospitality-focused experiences for clients, guests, and colleagues while working with various teams to execute them to the highest standards.
- Design appropriate studio (office) protocols and encourage behaviors to ensure a healthy community and smooth operation of the studio that will support our growing scale over time.
- Understand and build on leading trends in workspace experience to incorporate what’s best and most relevant into IDEO, looking out into the world for inspiration.
- Maintain, and build when necessary, vendor relationships and local networks to develop resources for outstanding experiences.
- Be present in the studio to ensure timely preparation, set-up, and coordination of meetings and events (sometimes past normal working hours).
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO is a place unlike any other. It’s a place where you can solve diverse, complex challenges for our clients or the organization, alongside thoughtful, intelligent individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. We work hard, but we also intentionally craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage each other to bring our whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the design process and in our careers.
As a Senior Experience Coordinator in New York, we provide the opportunity for you to:
- Create vibrant office settings that support designers in doing their best work, allow clients to feel inspired and convey the IDEO brand.
- Collaborate with people from different backgrounds such as interaction designers, poets, business designers, software engineers, anthropologists, graphic designers, and design researchers.
- Become part of a culture that lets you both learn and teach while working with people outside of your immediate area of expertise.
- Be challenged to bring your creative and professional life together with purpose and impact.
*IDEO Values are: Be Optimistic, Collaborate, Take Ownership, Embrace Ambiguity, Talk Less, Do More, Learn from Failure, and Make Others Successful.
Relevant experience and mindset:
- At least 5-7 years of experience, preferably in hospitality, a creative production role such as stage and/or events management, or a community manager. Experience working in creative organizations a plus.
- Exemplary communication, time management, and organizational skills.
- A strong design sensibility, grounded in expertise or sustained interest in one or more design disciplines, such as visual communication, interior design, hospitality, theater production, or others.
- Great negotiation and fiscal management skills; deep experience in navigating budgets, contracts and vendor relations.
- Ability to excel in right-brain vision and imagination as well as left-brain logic and execution.
- Success at managing a high volume of responsibility in a fast-paced environment.
- A true “no task too big, no task too small” attitude with a natural inclination to get your hands dirty (sometimes literally).
- Enthusiasm for collaborating with a variety of personalities and work styles.
How might you approach designing and implementing a signature moment into the experience of IDEO New York? (For example, a welcome for new colleagues, or a celebration for completed projects). Please tell us in 300 words or less.
Application requirements and instructions:
If you have a fresh perspective on this role and its potential, identify with our values, and would like to contribute to our studio – we would love to see your resume, cover letter including your answer to our pop quiz question, and your portfolio of work if available.
Equal Opportunity Employer
IDEO is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.