We are seeking a Visual Communications Design Intern to join our Tokyo studio during the summer of 2018. We are looking for an individual with strong skills and passion for visual design across different media: our communications designers routinely work on projects that spread across print, packaging and brand identity to projects for screens, devices, and spaces.
This is a fully paid position. Strong Japanese (native) and English verbal and written skills are required.
Your Role on Project Teams
We are looking for folks with both breadth and key areas of focused expertise: if you're a creative thinker with a strong visual portfolio and a passion for designing beautiful, unique and thoughtful work, we should talk.
Why IDEO Tokyo
IDEO Tokyo’s mission is to help Japan enable change through creativity. As part of a small studio that is still starting-up and growing, this person must demonstrate a collaborative working style, great communication skills, and the ability to thrive in a non-rules based environment of innovation.
Your Roles and Responsibilities
- You know the difference between “good” and “great” and are able to work through team dynamics, clients and timelines to deliver excellent design.
- User centered perspective: You understand and can articulate a human-centered approach to design and be comfortable going out into the world for inspiration.
- Team skills: You work best in a participatory, team-based environment. You support and inspire teams through collaboration as well as direction, vision, and planning of all aspects of visual deliverables.
- Communication skills: You have strong verbal and visual presentation skills. You demonstrate a clear “point‐of‐view” relating to their design. You understand the value of design and brand within a business context.
- Prototyping skills: You are ready to learn from failure, embrace an iterative process and you understand that success comes sooner with trial and error. You have experience in creating both low and high fidelity design deliverables for print and screen.
- Consulting chops: You should feel comfortable throughout all phases of a project, from translating verbal ideas into visual concepts, through design development and refinement, to creating production-ready artwork.
- Openness: Designers need to be flexible and open-minded, especially working in a small office. Successful candidates are optimistic, generative, and open the new ideas and ways of working.
Previous Projects to Check Out
Minimum Requirements and Qualifications
- Strong Japanese (native) and English verbal and written skills.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree education in Graphic Design, New Media, or professional equivalent (or working towards one).
- Fluency with Adobe Creative Suite, Keynote, video/audio editing software, and other design tools.
- Be self-directed toward excellent work outcomes, comfort level in ambiguous, non-rules based environments.
- Excellent discretion, demonstrating sound judgment in dealing with confidential dialogues and information.
- Ability to travel occasionally.
- Experience working in a design studio or creative consultancy is a plus.
Please submit your resume and portfolio (application without portfolio won’t be considered). When submitting your work samples/portfolio, please indicate your specific role(s) and contributions to each project presented.
Ability to legally work in Japan is required. We are only considering interns who can work during the summer for at least 12 weeks.
Strong Japanese (native) and English verbal and written skills are required for this position.
IDEO values people who are optimistic, collaborative, who take ownership, embrace ambiguity, talk less do more, can learn from failure, and have the want to make others successful. To learn more about Internships at IDEO, take a look at https://www.ideo.com/post/internship-faq
Equal Opportunity Employer
IDEO is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.