In a nutshell
IDEO U is an online school that equips learners with skills, mindsets, and tools to help them stay relevant and adaptive in our modern world.
We're part of IDEO, an award-winning global design firm that takes a human-centered, design-based approach to help organizations innovate and grow. IDEO U was created to teach the methods we have practiced for decades and to help individuals, teams, and organizations across the globe become more resilient, creative, and innovative. We are looking for a Senior Learning Design Lead to join our Content team and work alongside them in designing and developing new, innovative learning experiences.
Note: This role will begin remotely through at least October 2021. The long term plan, however, is we seek to bring on an individual who will be present, on-site in San Francisco. Once onsite work resumes, travel may be required for 2-3 weeks a year for filming.
Why this role is important
The Senior Learning Design Lead plays a critical role in the strategy and development of new IDEO U offerings. This person sits amongst strategic thought leaders, driving the transformation of their teachings into globally accessible, cutting edge, online learning experiences.
Once here you will focus on
Content Leadership and Strategy
- Manage the pipeline of instructional content projects including brief writing, project scoping, roadmapping, calendaring, and resourcing; participate as a key contributor to budgeting and monthly and annual reporting.
- Lead content strategy (e.g. course topics and formats) for both our B2C and B2B offers in collaboration with Marketing.
- Steward key relationships inside and outside IDEO (external content development partners, Global Marketing, industry advisors)
- Align content work to strategic goals and OKRs
- Lead the development of tools and processes to ‘templatize’ our workflows (eg. best practices or playbooks, design principles and pedagogy)
- Manage junior team members in their day-to-day instructional design work and guide them in the development of their craft as content developers.
Course Development and Direction
- Provide design and content direction throughout the end-to-end collaborative process of bringing an on-line educational experience to life including:
- Early-stage research to identify topics, partners, and content
- Interviewing subject matter experts
- Architecting the overall course flow and outline
- Synthesis and content definition
- Provide written and editorial direction to the course content (text copy, visuals, video, and interactive moments)
- Work with marketing to strategically position our curriculum
- Guide the iteration of the course post-launch to maintain and improve the experience for learners.
- Lead the early stage definition and design of a new course. AKA: the strategy phase. Collaborate with Instructional Designers to curate the best-of materials from subject matter experts globally into a structured set of lessons and vision for the overall experience. Play a lead role with the extended team to then develop it into a full course.
- Manage content stakeholder networks and partners. Lead role in building the network – to cultivate instructor partnerships, manage stakeholders and get talent and story approvals.
Community, Insights, and Marketing
- Partner with the marketing and product teams to develop and execute insights/design research to keep learner needs at the center.
- Participate in/Provide direction in developing education content for marketing videos, emails, and advertisements/adwords/social media, and live lessons (a workshop format for marketing purposes)
- Contribute to learner support and customer service, learning from the feedback to help improve the course experience.
Relevant Experience, Skills, and Mindsets
We are looking for someone who is excited by the intersection of education, storytelling, design, and technology. A strategic thinker who knows how to create unique ways to help people see, try, share, and reflect. You are curious and motivated by a learner’s experience, thinking through their behaviors, attitudes, and mindsets.You also enjoy rolling up your sleeves; our ideal candidate is excited to breakaway from traditional learning models, willing and able to think in unconventional ways and experiment and test as they go.
- Experience and expertise in the end to end process of content development for online/digital educational experiences, with particular emphasis on front end architecting and content definition. Brings a perspective on both content and process. (10+ years highly preferred)
- Experience in leading content strategy (e.g. course topics and formats) taking into account learner needs, business priorities and marketplace factors.
- Experienced in leading teams, individuals, and projects Projects includes brief writing, roadmapping, project scoping, calendaring and resourcing. Brings a perspective on developing tools, processes, and documentation.
- Skilled at synthesis and able to distil information into succinct learning concepts. Breaking complexity into elegance. The ideal candidate is a people person who thrives in collaborating with subject matter experts to bring content to life and is capable of guiding others in this skill.
- Communicates effectively, and can provide support and direction in different ways. Invested in developing junior talent; able to be a thought partner and guide them through complexity.
- Stakeholder manager extraordinaire. Skilled at navigating diverse needs and bringing many people along in a creative process. Able to balance managing expectations and the overarching strategy for content.
Bonus points if you have:
- Expertise in designing curriculum or educational content for the following sectors: soft-skills topics such as creativity, storytelling, people leadership and/or business sectors such as strategy, innovation, design thinking, and MBA-type content.
- Skilled in writing and editing in a range of genres such as short-form stories, video scripts, case studies, text-based articles. Able to write for different tones, audiences, and styles - from playful to business-minded.
- Experience in (or eagerness to learn) working with talent in the production/filming process, including directing talent and guiding people in the art of performance.
- Previous experience developing education content for marketing materials.
Equal Opportunity Employer
IDEO is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.