In a nutshell:
We are looking for a Communication Designer who can collaborate with teams to bring our voices, stories, and concepts to life. The ideal candidate has a strong foundation in graphic design and has experience establishing and applying design principles to brands, user interactions, digital interfaces and products, and motion design. In this role, you’ll work in multidisciplinary teams and tackle all aspects of the design process from user research to physical prototyping and communicating the overall project story to the client team.
You’ll have the opportunity to work on a diverse portfolio of projects that involve data, experience, interaction, digital product, and service design. Your contributions may take on a variety of forms including brand, brand expression, storytelling, information, motion, packaging, interface, wayfinding, and environmental design.
Once here you will:
- Collaborate on the development of brand strategies and bring the work to life
- Design websites, apps, and combined digital and physical experiences with the end user in mind
- Create compelling visual narratives that communicate user stories and our strategic solutions
- Collaborate with multidisciplinary designers with backgrounds such as industrial design, interaction design, business design, and mechanical engineering to solve problems across a variety of industries
- Create looks like/works like prototypes of different levels of fidelity to help teams determine the design direction
- Be an advocate for exceptional visual design
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO is a place unlike any other. It’s a place where you can solve diverse, complex challenges for our clients or the organization, alongside thoughtful, intelligent individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. We work hard, but we also intentionally craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the design process and your career.
Some previous projects to check out:
- A New Way to Vote for the People of Los Angeles: Designed an intuitive, accessible voting experience and ballot machine for every type of voter.
- Transforming the Way You Learn about Your DNA with a Genomics Startup: Helped people harness their genetic information by launching the first store for products powered by DNA
- Future of Automobility: Designed an online visualization of how life with driverless cars might really look and feel. It considers four scenarios: “Moving People,” which looks at how commutes will change when we can look away from the road; “Moving Things,” where we examine automated package-delivery fleets; “Moving Spaces,” where we envision mobile offices meeting people where they live and parking in underused areas of our cities; and “Moving Together,” which explores how the interior of future vehicles will be customized to meet our personal needs during ride-sharing.
Relevant experience and mindset:
- 3-5 years interactive/graphic design experience across a variety of applications and media
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, New Media, HCI, Interaction Design, or an equivalent degree
- Ability to tackle a diverse and complex set of design challenges and recognize patterns to help develop creative and strategic solutions
- Experience establishing and expressing brand identity, from understanding strategy to creative interpretation and execution; designing visual identities, defining brand architectures, and building clear and useful guidelines for implementation
- Strong information and visualization design skills including typography and layout, and a passion for visual design across a breadth of media
- Passion for learning and experimenting with new methods to deliver design solutions
- Extensive experience with a variety of graphic design and interactive tools including Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, Principle, Framer, etc.
To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter, and your portfolio. Your portfolio should include at least 4 examples of work-related projects. In particular, we want to hear about the process involved in developing the design or project.
Equal Opportunity Employer
IDEO is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.