Note: This role will be remote through at least December 2021. We are open to hiring individuals to eventually work onsite from our Cambridge, Chicago, or San Francisco studios, with occasional travel to San Francisco for IDEO U team gatherings.
IDEO U is IDEO’s online school, equipping learners around the globe with skills, mindsets, and tools to help them stay relevant and adaptive in our modern world. We're part of IDEO, an award-winning global design firm that takes a human-centered, design-based approach to help organizations innovate and grow. IDEO U was created to teach the methods we have practiced for decades and to help individuals, teams, and organizations across the globe become more resilient, creative, and innovative.
About The Role
IDEO U has a strong vision for the future. To get there, we want to ensure that we have the right data to understand our learners and our growing business. As a Business Intelligence Analytics Lead, you'll be the go-to expert for the data & analytics ecosystem for IDEO U, and a pivotal cross-functional leader and collaborator. You are equal parts technical data engineer and savvy business analyst. A thought partner and organizational linchpin working closely with product, marketing, & content and production senior leaders to leverage data & insights to make the business run, you also look ahead to articulate how our data processes and infrastructure will need to improve.
Once Here You Will
- Own the design, development, iteration, and maintenance of key metrics, reports, analyses, pipelines, and dashboards to support key business decisions
- Lead the evolution of data pipelines to support scalable business processes while maintaining reporting accuracy and operational timelines
- Collaborate with senior business leaders to understand business problems, translate them into an analytic approach to solving, and partner to create ongoing data tools to support better decision making
- Act as a key collaborator with senior leaders to provide actionable data-centric insights, assist in the creation of board-level deliverables, and offer process improvement recommendations
- Work alongside other business units to vision and implement complex, cross-company system integrations focused on data
- Communicate findings to a wide range of internal business stakeholders through an approach that facilitates learning, prioritization, and action
- Help mentor junior analysts and other colleagues looking to improve their data fluency and skills
What It Takes
We are looking for someone who is excited to translate data into insights that help the IDEO U business evolve our understanding of our learners and market strategies. You enjoy both autonomy in your work, as well as collaborating closely with colleagues to help integrate data and insights into their workflows.
- 4+ years in analytics, business intelligence, data engineering, data analysis, or related field
- Strong technical skills in data extraction & analysis; expert knowledge in at least one SQL dialect, and proficient in R or Python
- Strong working knowledge in one or more analytical platform and visualization tools (we use Tableau)
- Proficiency in designing & building data pipelines and/or using ETL tools
- Working knowledge of data warehousing best practices (we use AWS)
- Knowledge and comfort with APIs and documentation
- Strong business acumen, ability to translate a complex business question into an analytic approach and fit the approach into a business process flow/decision-making process
- Working knowledge of one or more key business processes (e.g. demand forecasting, audience segmentation, campaign management, etc) & the types of data analytics that support better outcomes in these processes
- Desire to support a wide range of stakeholders and to be the captain of IDEO U’s analytics ship
- Comfort with a high degree of autonomy and self-direction required in-role
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with an ability to explain technical/quantitative concepts to non-technical audiences
- Ability to adapt practices and approaches to fit, nimble a small startup environment
Bonus Points If You Have
- Marketing and growth analytics experience
- Experience with an eCommerce business model
- Interest in online education and the Design Thinking field
Please submit both a cover letter (yes, we read them!) and a resume. In your cover letter, please briefly convey why this role is the right next step for you to take in your career. We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis in June and July.
Equal Opportunity Employer
IDEO is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.