In a nutshell:
IDEO Shanghai is searching for a Commercial Representative, who will work closely with our studio leadership, design and infrastructure teams to enable great project work and client experiences by facilitating our thoughtful and fast-paced business development end-to-end efforts.
Why is this role important for IDEO’s work?
Commercial Representative helps set the stage for our client engagements by seamlessly orchestrating the resources and processes that enable our studio to identify, articulate and execute on client opportunities. This individual will work with our teams to generate and coordinate compelling project proposals, presentations, and lead the commercial contracting process.
Once here you will:
- Act as a project manager to drive the overall commercial contracting process (i.e. work with design directors to represent IDEO in front of client, set timeline and foresee potential challenges and push through when things are moving slow, etc.)
- Develop basic understanding of the client's needs & constraints, as well as how IDEO’s work could support their goals.
- Work with design directors and finance team to recommend pricing and negotiation strategy
- Oversee the commercial contracting process and drive internal teams to respond to needs based on client / studio strategy to keep up momentum throughout the process
- Liaise with clients’ procurement and legal teams, lead business negotiation to get across the finishing line of the business development cycle.
- Work with location leadership teams to share learnings and make recommendations on our business development and contracting process, suggest improvements or strategy.
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO is a place unlike any other. It’s a place where you can solve diverse, complex challenges for our clients or the organization, alongside thoughtful, intelligent individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism.
As a Commercial Representative in Shanghai, we provide the opportunity for you to:
- Work alongside design leaders at IDEO, facing executive level clients of different industries and solving complex business and design challenges.
- Become part of a culture that lets you both learn and teach while working with people outside of your immediate area of expertise.
- Work in an interesting and creative environment where you find autonomy and feeling empowered to bring your expertise and see your impact.
- Broaden your horizons and enrich your life experiences, by working with great minds and bringing positive changes to clients and society.
Relevant experience (past) and mindset (ongoing/potential):
- You have strong business acumen
- Minimum of 5-7 years of professional work experience in a fast-paced environment.
- Has a strategic mindset and has experience in business contract negotiations
- You’re entrepreneurial, curious, creative, willing to try out new things.
- Get energized by a good challenge, no matter how ambiguous or complex, and not afraid to get his/her hands dirty.
- Self-directed and able to anticipate needs and plan ahead.
- You have strong people orientation and enjoys collaboration
- Enjoy and comfortable building relationships – both within IDEO and the client organization.
- Have great interpersonal skills and experience managing multiple stakeholders dealing with different people dynamics
- Excellent and confident written and verbal communicator, both in Chinese and English
- You are looking for a work environment that:
- fills you with inspirations, from our people and our work
- embraces the diversity of thoughts and cultivates creativity
- encourages you to bring your authentic self and offers flexibility and autonomy in how you do your work
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, Keynote is a must... G-suite experience is a plus.
- Experience in business development, account servicing, sourcing or procurement
- Passion for design and innovation is a plus
Application requirements and instructions:
Please apply online by uploading your resume and cover letter. We look forward to receiving your applications!
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
IDEO is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
CURIOUS ABOUT IDEO'S HIRING PROCESS?
Check out Inside Scoop to get the low-down.
At IDEO, we are committed to the work of advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion within our organization and in the world.
Our purpose of having disproportionate, world-changing impact through design is directly connected to our ability to bring many different perspectives to the table. This applies to our candidates, the people we hire, the clients and customers we serve, and the communities we learn from in our research.
As a human-centered organization, we are committed to working with and designing for people of every race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, socio-economic status, physical ability or attribute, religion, national origin, or political belief. We recognize that this commitment requires ongoing work and sustained attention, as well as adaptation to new insights and best practices.
California Residents, please click here to learn more about your personal data rights under CCPA.