In a nutshell:
IDEO is an award-winning global design firm that takes a human-centered, design-based approach to helping organizations in the public and private sectors innovate and grow. IDEO China’s mission is to create new value in China by enabling enlightened leaders to answer the right questions and to tackle systemic challenges. The Shanghai team specifically, consists of around 45 people of various disciplines providing design services to large organizations all around the world.
IDEO balances creative passion and business acumen to deliver impactful work around the world. This ethos is equally important within the organization.
We are looking for a strategic, business-minded individual with interests and awareness of the design industry and experience working with multi-disciplinary teams in a fast paced environment. The Finance and Accounting Lead role is hands on, balancing workload, foresight and leadership skills, to drive the function forward to help IDEO scale our impact in China.
You will be working with an enthusiastic and driven leadership team, leading a small finance team and some extra part time support, while collaborating across the organization as part of a global finance team based in the US but with a presence in our studios in Europe, the US and Asia.
Why is this role important for IDEO’s work?
He/she will play an important role in supporting the financial health of the studio and navigating the business evolution from an accounting and finance perspective. We count on him/her to ensure compliance, analyze data, articulate learnings and recommend actions that will help enable our studio to make more impact in China through more complex and comprehensive offerings and services.
Once here you will:
Financial Management & Control
- Oversee and leading the finance team and accountable for functional responsibilities including: accounts receivable, accounts payable, general ledger, asset management, payment transactions, client invoicing, cash management and month end booking
- Monthly review of budgets for P&L, cash flow, balance sheet. Produce, review and sign off monthly management accounts
- Monthly submission of IDEO China’s financials to our global finance director in the US. Take full responsibility for the monthly official financials on both a cash and accrual basis; deliver actual results in line with firm-wide deadlines
- Independent preparation of monthly and annual financial statements in accordance with US and Chinese GAAP
- Monthly submission and management of Payroll including payments to foreign nationals and local employees and the handling of individual income tax
- Lead the handling of filing and planning of corporate income tax, VAT and other tax related issues to optimize the financial health of our business
- Year-end partnership reporting, collaborating with US auditors to finalize
- Lead staff in developing and performing various internal audit functions to ensure compliance with policies; work with Business Operations team in developing policies and financial control system
- Work with internal budget owners to develop, track and control operating expenses and project expenses in accordance to plan
- Manage office lease, insurance and expense policy management with the Business Operations team
- Be the main point of contact for our external financial partners including: banks, auditors, tax advisors and local tax bureau
- Monthly local reporting of the financial state of the business to the leadership team, including budget review, sales and cash flow
- Provide leadership and direction on financial strategy for IDEO China
- Assist in driving the business cycle, reviewing historical financial trends and working with our Business Operations team to build the annual revenue forecast and budget
- Assist in various special projects from time to time to drive positive financial outcomes
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO is a place unlike any other. It’s a place where you can solve diverse, complex challenges for our clients or the organization, alongside thoughtful, intelligent individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. Sure we work hard, but we also intentionally craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the design process and your career.
Relevant experience and mindset:
- Native Chinese, fluent in both English and Chinese
- Qualified management accountant or hold an equivalent qualification.
- A deep understanding of Chinese accounting rules and functional knowledge of US GAAP is required
- Minimum 5 years of experience in financial accounting, ideally in a multinational and project based environment
- Experienced in both professional services firm and corporate
- Experienced in interfacing and building relationships with internal and external stakeholders such as tax officials
- Experience leading teams and help them grow
- Experience in the compilation of management accounts including forecasting is preferred
- Experience working with Microsoft Dynamic 365 is not required, but preferred
The successful candidate may have the following qualities:
- Enjoy working in a creative work environment together with multidisciplinary teams
- Strategically minded, and sees the big picture while not afraid to get your hands dirty in the weeds
- Possess an entrepreneurial spirit, and enjoys problem solving and making an impact with his/her work
- Enjoys a flexible and independent work environment where day-to-day work is more self-directed
Application requirements and instructions:
Is this you? If so, please send your resume and cover letter, tell us why you want to work at IDEO and explain what excites you about this role.
Equal Opportunity Employer
IDEO is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.