In a nutshell:
IDEO Palo Alto is in search of a Software Designer who will leverage a deep understanding of software to design and deliver innovative solutions that address core user needs.
Why is this role important for IDEO’s work?
Software Designers make the biggest impact by utilizing their expertise of software during the design process and guiding teams to deliver great digital design. Their skillset is critical to our work/business because they provide the expertise needed to iterate and deliver our work in the digital space. We count on them to inspire teams of the possibilities enabled by software and provide unorthodox ways to push design.
Once here you will:
- Go out in the field to build empathy for users' needs first-hand through things like watching a surgical procedure, exploring the house of a hoarder, or flying a flight simulator
- Debrief and discuss user feedback with cross-disciplinary teams in order to synthesize research into meaningful design iterations
- Work with a diverse set of stakeholders (coworkers, clients and mentors) to communicate complex concepts and complete projects
- Share techniques and approaches with other designers—from the software design discipline to interaction design, and beyond
- From developing live prototypes to guiding teams to create a MVP, use software expertise to deliver great digital design
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO is a place unlike any other. It’s a place where you can solve diverse, complex challenges for our clients or the organization, alongside thoughtful, intelligent individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. Sure we work hard, but we also intentionally craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the design process and your career.
As a Software Designer in Palo Alto, we provide the opportunity for you to:
- Participate in the full design process, from talking with users to identify potential opportunities, to delivering a great software product.
- Solve problems in a broad set of domains, ranging from health, consumer technology, and mobility.
- Explore and develop concepts with emerging technologies, such as new user interaction technologies, computer vision, or machine learning.
Some previous projects to check out:
- Redesigning Voting With LA County - As part of a multidisciplinary team, Software Designers designed and developed an integrated hardware and software experience to deliver a more fair access and intuitive voting experience for the citizens of LA county.
- Designing the Future Kitchen - Software Designers participated in the envisioning of what the future kitchen of 2025 would look like, which included the development of a computer vision driven prototype of the kitchen table of the future, which was presented in an installation at the Milan World Expo.
Relevant experience and mindset:
- MS in Computer Science or similar field; or equivalent work experience
- 3+ years delivering products to market that demonstrate strong product sense and a high level of empathy for the end user
- A strong depth in software with engineering experience on production applications and a clear understanding of what it takes to bring a product to market
- Ability to learn new tools and languages quickly and do self-guided work
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
What gets us excited
We are particularly interested in candidates that have demonstrated skills in one or more of the following focus areas:
Digital Product Expertise
- Within one digital platform (ex. Web, iOS, Android, Embedded Hardware), expert fluency and understanding of the constraints and opportunities that affect design and product strategy
- Comfort in leveraging data within your design process, from analyzing quantitative data to prototyping data-driven services
- The ability to synthesize compelling, human-centered stories from complex data
- A strong depth within an area of emerging technology within software, such as Machine Learning, Computer Vision, or Graphics
- The ability to understand and humanize the state of the art within software and articulate to colleagues the design opportunities that exist
Application requirements and instructions:
Please share 2 projects that best represent your capabilities and interests. Please include links to your Github repos, blog and/or website.