Business Design at IDEO requires a unique blend of real-world experience and theory, entrepreneurial zeal, and boardroom polish. You will work as a member of IDEO’s multi-disciplinary teams to create market-leading offerings and ventures for clients. This is a summer internship, and geared towards graduate students midway through their program.
Once you are here you will:
- Work with a team to design a new venture that creates new income potential for the business.
- Contribute to creating new business models that enhance and extend consumer experiences while creating new opportunities for income.
- Help clients identify and develop new growth options within existing brands.
- Design new products, services, and consumer experiences that differentiate the company from its competition.
- Create compelling new value propositions for customers.
- Design organizational structures, strategic assets, and operating models to help the company drive its own innovation.
Some previous projects to check out:
- Food Genius: Fueled by a mission to “help everyone love what they eat,” the Chicago-based food-tech startup Food Genius uses a complex algorithm to track more than 16 million restaurant menu items and classify consumers’ dining-out behaviors. IDEO invited Food Genius to become our first Startup-in-Residence and work on building out its new platform. The Food Genius team co-located in our Chicago studio for 14 weeks, living and breathing IDEO culture. Together, we collaborated on experimental deep-dive design sessions covering such topics as qualitative research methods, designing with data, business and technological development strategies, and product road mapping.
- Capella Education: Over the course of 3 years, IDEO helped Capella redesign the experience for the university’s current and prospective students, develop new approaches to marketing, and create an entirely new digital ecosystem.
- Next Door: To address a changing marketplace and build stronger relationships with Millennials (consumers born between 1981 and 2000), State Farm engaged IDEO in a four-year, radically collaborative relationship that resulted in the design and launch of Next Door, a community-focused learning center that offers free, no-pressure financial coaching to consumers in the Chicago area.
- Caulk Singles: IDEO was asked to explore new caulking experiences for professionals and DIYers alike. To capture the attention and imagination of these consumers, the program took on a holistic scope, entailing engineering, manufacturing, brand development, packaging, and communication design as a way to reinvigorate the caulk market and pioneer new user experiences.
- Minimum of 4 years of work experience, preferably in an entrepreneurial/high growth setting, with responsibilities including value proposition definition, business model design, experiment structuring, data analysis and offering launch.
- Experience taking an idea from theory and analysis into a market launch — either as an entrepreneur, member of a start-up team or as an intrapreneur (e.g. line manager, product manager).
- An MBA candidate is ideal, but not required.
- Comfortable with clients - able to work as a collaborator and advisor, and confidently and credibly share your point of view and expertise.
- Ability to work in an ambiguous and dynamic environment and comfort collaborating with multidisciplinary design teams in a non-hierarchical organization.
- Ability to pull together multiple - and sometimes conflicting - inputs (data, qualitative feedback, hypothesis, etc.) into a common point of view.
- Ability to coach and teach other designers about business and to help infect the community with an entrepreneurial spirit.
Please apply no later than March 31st, 2017. We aim to get back to all candidates by mid-April. For those who advance to interviews, you can expect there to be one (1) round of interviews, conducted remotely via video conference. Interviews will be scheduled for the middle of March through early April.