In a nutshell:
IDEO’s global marketing and communications team based in San Francisco is in search of a business and design-savvy editor and writer. You have a knack for big picture thinking, are omnivorous in your interests, and adept at boiling down complex concepts in a smart, human-centered way. You will coordinate and drive marketing team editorial projects, lead the creation of all editorial content on ideo.com, and develop strategic communications materials.
Why is this role important for IDEO’s work?
In this role, you will develop high-impact marketing content and drive positive impact and influence for our business.
Once here you will:
- Be the lead writer for ideo.com, stewarding the creation of all editorial content on the site
- Write, edit, and/or steward project case studies, microsites, and other brand expressions, based on specific business and marketing strategies
- Draft bylines and op-eds for press placement, working closely with the media team
- Work with IDEO thought leaders, business directors, and marketing teams to craft and direct content in line with the needs of the business -- this includes marketing materials, op-eds, white papers, presentations, long-form articles, and blog posts
- Co-create storytelling strategy working closely with leaders in global marketing + communications
- Coordinate editorial contractors for our marketing teams
- Help craft and manage social media campaigns with the digital marketing team, ensuring the right message lands on the right platform appropriately and consistently
- Work with designers to produce immersive, multimedia expressions of select stories
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO is a place where you can solve diverse, complex challenges for our clients or the organization, alongside thoughtful, intelligent individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. Sure we work hard, but we also intentionally craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the design process and your career.
As a global marketing editor and writer, you are given the opportunity to:
- Help shape and deliver sharp, world-changing content in diverse areas of impact
- Work with top designers and thought leaders to create positive impact through design
- Be part of an optimistic, close, high-performing team that works and plays hard
Some previous projects to check out:
Take a look at the examples below to see different expressions of IDEO's work that the global marketing and communications team has helped to create.
A Day In the Life of a Designer
The Future of Automobility
A Cafeteria Designed for Me
Improving the Lives of People with Schizophrenia
Relevant experience and mindset:
- 4-6 years of experience as a marketing writer and editor for creative and forward-looking brands or companies
- Super-connector who loves supporting people and is happiest when bringing stories and editorial initiatives to life as part of a team
- Multi-tasker capable of producing, managing and editing high volumes of content and juggling several priorities at once.
- Business-savvy, facile with key and often complex global business concepts in areas such as design, technology, strategy, and entrepreneurship
- Has worked closely with developers and product managers and has empathy and clear understanding of those roles and skillsets
- Sophisticated grasp of marketing metrics and drivers of impact
- Multi-media skills (experience with creating video and audio stories)
- Experience with conceiving and deploying social media campaigns on various channels
Application requirements and instructions:
In addition to a resume and cover letter, we ask that you complete the Pop Quiz question, and provide us with 2-3 writing samples from existing work (we are not asking you to write anything new for the samples). This can be anything, feel free to mix it up.
Please note, this is a position with our global marketing and communications team which sits in our San Francisco office.