In a nutshell:
IDEO Palo Alto is looking for a Marketing Lead to join the team. The studio leads some of the most innovative work with its Mobility, Health and Product portfolios and the Toy Studio - delivering products, services and experiences that bridge the physical, technical and digital worlds for leading companies around the world.
Why is this role important for IDEO’s work?
The marketing lead will work closely with the leadership team, designers, the global marcom team, business development and project teams to help develop marketing strategies/plans that align with business and organizational objectives and to execute on them to drive results.
Once here you will:
- Develop a strong understanding of business priorities and capabilities across each portfolio (Mobility, Health, Product & Toys) and across the studio.
- Conduct research and analysis with/for the portfolios to understand audiences - who they are, what’s top of mind & key trends and where they spend time. The right candidate will possess curiosity around the “why” and “how” of our work and excitement in translating this into strategies that deeply engage people and existing/potential partners.
- Identify priority marketing opportunities and help create plans for each portfolio. Develop frameworks to drive the best mix of stories that represent our work, capabilities, impact and people. Test new online and offline channels, partnerships, events/conferences, formats and content areas.
- Identify success metrics and conduct ongoing ROI analysis on key initiatives.
- Lead efforts in driving market and community development in Silicon Valley and beyond for the portfolios. This entails understanding the startup/technology ecosystem, developing and nurturing key relationships and identifying opportunities for the portfolio(s). You’re a super connector.
- Master the ability to tell stories - stories about clients, high-impact work, leading designers, the community and IDEO.
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO is a place unlike any other. It is a place where you can solve diverse, complex challenges for our clients or the organization, alongside thoughtful, intelligent individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. Sure we work hard, but we also intentionally craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the design process and your career.
As a Marketing Lead in our Palo Alto studio, we provide the opportunity for you to:
- Help drive marketing-mindedness through the studio and develop ways of enabling individuals to identify, create and execute on the highest-impact marketing efforts.
- Develop systems and tools to streamline marketing processes and prioritization for the business.
- Work closely with other marketing colleagues, designers, biz dev leads and partners to get this all done.
Some previous projects to check out:
Relevant experience and mindset:
- BA/BS degree, MBA a plus
- Minimum of 5-10 years of marketing experience at a B2B/B2C company, consultancy or venture firm.
- Led successful multi-channel marketing campaigns that entail developing strategy, messaging, creatives and promotional plans that included media, content, social with tracking systems. Bonus if you have experience doing this solo and with a direct/indirect team.
- Experience finding, leading and negotiating marketing partnerships. You are also comfortable strategizing and collaborating with clients on marketing and launch initiatives
- Experience driving opportunities to reach and convene C-level executives, thought-leaders, founders and investors via content, events, conferences, etc. Demonstrated ability to create networks and communities.
- Able to work on interdisciplinary teams and/or matrixed organizations. You can wear different hats on a team and possess flexible leadership styles - supporting others, coordinating, project managing and leading as needed.
- Fluent with CRM systems, content management systems and driving improvements with internal tools and processes.
- Must be entrepreneurial, accountable and comfortable rolling up his/her sleeves. Is highly organized, works smart, possesses strong attention to detail and thrives on getting things done.
- Well-versed in digital media, photoshop, indesign, keynote, web based tools, analytics.
Pop quiz, Hot Shot:
- Tell us about one company’s recent marketing efforts you’ve been inspired by or impressed with. Why, and what are they doing differently than others?
Application requirements and instructions:
Please include a writing sample and/or an example of a campaign or work of yours. Also, please explain your role in the work.