In a nutshell:
IDEO Palo Alto is in search of a Creative Resource Manager to ensure projects are well-staffed with both internal and external talent. As a key part of the Talent Team, the Creative Resource Manager loves to work with people and thrives in the “human” aspect of resourcing creative talent and sourcing unicorns. This person thrives on being in service of others and the business in solving the complex problems of staffing.
Why is this role important for IDEO’s work?
IDEO is not a corporate organization or culture. Rather, it is a very non-hierarchical, non-traditional, creative and dynamic organization filled with a community of people who love what they do and are committed to helping others be successful. Our resourcing process is not paint by number. To us, helping our people and their careers succeed and thrive at IDEO is a creative challenge. While there are certain things that are given for this role, there is no basic staffing recipe or given fixed project structure that just needs to be “executed.” Often this means there is a fairly “blank canvas” of talent that needs to be filled creatively.
The Creative Resource Manager will make the biggest impact by staffing amazing project teams, which are a critical part of our business and at the heart of the work we do. They have the ability to shape the experience of IDEOers, from designers to business development associates to directors, throughout the resourcing process. We count on this person to help staff needs in a timely manner while maintaining deep relationships and providing trusted advice.
Once here you will:
- Work closely with the internal Resourcing Lead to understand the staffing needs on all active projects, as well as the pipeline of potential upcoming projects
- Work closely with business leads, creative leads, business development and designers to confirm resources to both active and potential projects promptly, while taking bandwidth, capabilities and interests into consideration
- Maintain and provide ongoing visibility into resource utilization and availability
- Solicit feedback on the resourcing process and make adjustments as needed
- Connect the right freelancer (and their unique set of skills and talents) with the discrete needs of a design team, understanding the nuanced talents and contributions necessary to facilitate world class design
- Oversee all administrative duties associated with the sourcing and integration of freelancers. (i.e. organize and maintain our talent databases; manage project requests, contracts, timesheets, and invoicing)
- With support from our design directors, actively grow and support our freelancer network by scouting and recruiting new freelancers
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO is a place unlike any other. It is a place where you can solve diverse, complex challenges for our clients or the organization, alongside thoughtful, intelligent individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. Sure we work hard, but we also intentionally craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the design process and your career.
As a Creative Resource Manager in our Palo Alto studio, we provide the opportunity for you to:
- Be part of a local and global talent team working on cutting-edge talent initiatives
- Practice a non-transactional approach to creative resourcing that balances business needs and learning opportunities
- Forge close relationships with amazing people both inside and outside of IDEO
- Work in an open environment that is shared by IDEOers of all disciplines and levels
Relevant experience and mindset:
- You have 3+ years of experience as a resource manager or project manager in a creative environment with rapidly changing project needs
- You maintain a high level of flexibility, diplomacy, level-headedness and fortitude in a fast-moving environment
- You’re able to deftly navigate ambiguous situations, identify problems, prioritize needs, and proactively find creative solutions
- Requests are often last minute. You've demonstrated the ability to stay calm under pressure, problem solve better than anyone, and have incredible interpersonal skills
- You know what it takes to get our deliverables built; from decks, to exhibits, to prototypes, and the type of talent that’s necessary to get the job done
- You have a deep understanding of creative workflow, skillsets, and synergies. You are able to understand complex briefs and project requirements in addition to recognizing the potential risks and dependencies relevant to staffing that work
- You are passionate about building, supporting and nurturing creative teams
Nice to have:
- Experience in Film, Photo, Print or Digital Production a plus
Application requirements and instructions:
If you identify with our values and would love to contribute to our studio, please submit your answer to our pop quiz question in the form below.