In a Nutshell:
IDEO’s Global technology team is looking for a team member to help effectively co-design, install, configure, operate, and maintain IDEO’s local and wide area networks- securely connecting the company to one another, to the Internet, and to 3rd party vendors and cloud providers. This role will be located in either Cambridge, MA or New York, NY.
Why is this role important for IDEO’s work?
As a Network Administrator, you will be part of an extended global network of technologists who collaboratively recommend and develop network, application hosting and security infrastructure solutions to meet the evolving needs of IDEO’s innovative business. This person will proactively assist in planning, developing, and administering cutting-edge networking solutions for both IDEO’s client-facing and internal project teams.
The Network Administrator role will be part of IDEO’s Technology team by engaging in and being accountable for:
- WAN connectivity for all of our global IDEO offices to the Internet and meshed, secured VPN connectivity between all offices
- Local intranet connectivity of all devices including wireless and mobile, as well as managing separate networks for Test and Dev environments
- Secure, external connectivity to outside vendors and cloud services using IPSec VPN tunnels
Once here you will:
- Work as an integral member of the Global Technology team and closely with the Technology team as a whole.
- Monitor, manage, and update/upgrade the networks that support the IDEO company as a whole, but also give input and occasionally implement technical solutions for various client projects.
- Troubleshoot and resolve hardware and software failures, but also drive to root cause analysis and propose and implement future solutions to reduce and minimize the impact of those failures in the future.
- Manage ISPs and firewalls in our 9 global offices as well as configure and manage our meshed IPSec VPN tunnels between all offices and 3rd party cloud vendors.
- Manage the local intranet connectivity of all of the office to allow reliable and secure connectivity of all systems including desktops, laptops, wireless, mobile, and IoT devices.
- Help implement, support, and manage the networks to allow internal developers to code and deploy across a multi-tiered environments (Dev, Test, Stage, Prod).
- Work with others in the Technology team to migrate, configure, and manage new VOIP solutions.
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO is a place unlike any other. It’s a place where you can solve diverse, complex challenges for our clients or the organization, alongside thoughtful, intelligent individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. Sure we work hard, but we also intentionally craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the design process and your career.
As a Network Administrator, we provide the opportunity for you to:
- Be part of an extended global network of technologists who collaboratively recommend and develop network, application hosting and security infrastructure solutions.
- Assist in planning, developing and administering these solutions to both IDEO’s client-facing and internal project teams.
- Field challenging technical questions from people with varying levels of technical chops.
- 4+ years network administration experience
- Hands on experience and expert understanding of TCP/IP, routing, switching, and load balancing
- Expert understanding of network-dependent services such as DNS, DHCP, NTP, HTTP, syslog, etc.
- Experience with next generation and application-aware firewalls such as Palo Alto Networks or related
- Experience with IPSec VPN tunnels securely connecting offices as well as VPN/VPC tunnels to securely connect to private/hybrid clouds
- Experience with LAN core and distribution switches such as Cisco Catalyst, HP or related
- Experience with wireless access points and centralized management controllers such a Aruba, Meraki, or related, as well as 802.11x standards and configurations
- Experience with VOIP solutions- especially cloud or hybrid technologies
- Experience with implementing, managing, and automating monitoring systems (Cacti, MRTG, Zabbix, Nagios, etc.)
Additional Desirable Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or information systems, or equivalent technical certifications and experience is preferred, such as CCNA or preferably CCNP
- NAS/SAN storage administration
- VMware vSphere or related virtualization technology and associated networking
- Proficiency in one or more scripting languages (Python, Ruby, Bash, Powershell, etc.)
Please include responses to the two questions below with your application. Keep it simple, to 200 words for each response.
- If you had to explain how DNS (Domain Naming Service) works to your grandmother- what would you say?
- What are your top three values- what drives you in life? your career?
Application requirements and instructions:
If you identify with to this position and would love to contribute to our global technology team, we would love to see your resume and cover letter (addressing the pop quiz above).