In a nutshell:
IDEO San Francisco is in search of an Interaction Designer who will integrate digital designs into spaces, brands, services and products, and tackle all aspects of the design process -- from user research to physical and digital prototyping to telling a project story to the client.
Why is this role important for IDEO’s work?
Interaction Designers make the biggest impact by thinking creatively and having a passion for pixels. They love to make graphics move and have a knack for crafting compelling stories.
Once here you will:
- Work on a projects that solve problems across a variety of industries.
- Collaborate with designers with different backgrounds such as industrial designers, mechanical engineers and interaction designers to develop a holistic design for our clients.
- Create looks like/works like prototypes that help tell a project’s story.
- Be an advocate of exceptional design.
- Design websites, apps, and other digital experiences with the end user in mind.
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO is a place unlike any other. It’s a place where you can solve diverse, complex challenges for our clients or the organization, alongside thoughtful, intelligent individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. Sure we work hard, but we also intentionally craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the design process and your career.
Some previous projects to check out:
- My Ford Touch: Designed “signature interface elements” for all Ford vehicles that connect drivers with both onboard technologies and their personal digital devices.
- PNC Wealth Insight: Conducted deep field research with wealth managers and utilized real client data to design clear and concise visualizations that give investors the right level of insight.
- Food Genius: Tapped into big data with our first startup-in-residence to design Food Genius Reports, a consumer and food industry trends dashboard.
- State Farm NextDoor: Integrated digital touchpoints that foster person-to-person interaction within a new service offering that includes new communications, tools, roles, and space.
- 3-5 years interaction/graphic design experience across a variety of digital media.
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, New Media or an equivalent degree.
- Experience in concept ideation, design strategy, digital prototyping, and combining graphic design and 3D animation.
- Ability to tell compelling project stories to clients.
- Experience working with designers from different backgrounds and integrating your design ideas with theirs.
- Passion for visual design and learning new methods of designing digital experiences.
- Extensive experience with a variety of graphic design and interactive tools including InDesign, Illustrator, HTML, Flash, and Aftereffects. Bonus points for experience designing apps.
Application requirements and instructions:
To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter, and portfolio. Your portfolio should include at least 4 examples of work-related projects. In particular, we want to hear about the process involved in developing the design or project. Bonus points if you include 2-3 projects you have worked on for fun.