We are seeking a Studio Manager to join our Tokyo studio. As a Studio Manager, your role at IDEO Tokyo will be to make both the clients and employees’ experience delightful. You will work directly with the studio leadership in a variety of daily responsibilities and special projects that promote the success of design teams and our studio as a whole from an operational and cultural perspective.
This is a tremendous opportunity for an individual that thrives on creating order out of chaos, creating memorable events and designing personal experiences and is committed to being inspired and inspiring others. Individuals who have flourished in similar roles within IDEO have come from the hospitality, food service, travel and entertainment industries, as well as retail customer service.
IDEO Tokyo’s mission is to help Japan renew and reframe its creative and economic leadership position in the world by being a catalyst for change. As part of a small studio that is growing, this person must demonstrate a collaborative working style, great communication skills, and the ability to thrive in a flexible environment of innovation.
Strong Japanese (native) and English verbal and written skills are required.
- Manage the office’s day-to-day operations (calendaring, hospitality, logistics, supplies) to create an efficient and enjoyable environment conducive to great teamwork
- Work with leadership to provide support for the studio community through day-to-day activities, planning and leading internal events (e.g. Studio lunches, parties, offsites, etc), and longer-term projects
- Nurture a diverse community of designers via unique & impactful experiences and spaces that support designers to do their best work, allow clients to feel inspired, and create a fun, inspiring and vibrant office environment
- Maintain a good and close relationship with our landlord and manage all aspects of building maintenance to keep the location looking good and in excellent working order in order to promote great design and experience
- Serve as a concierge for our clients when they are on-site
- Together with Leadership and Business Operations, monitor Studio expenses and negotiate good deals for IDEO (from food to supplies to furniture etc)
- Manage travel itineraries, VISAs and short-term housing for IDEO employees and guests
- Oversee all shipping couriers, post coming in and going out
- Maintain archives and storage systems in alignment with IDEO guidelines
- Manage the planning & logistics for public speaking engagements and public events
- Ensure the Studio / visiting guests have up to date information on hotels, restaurants and external venues for different activities
- Support hiring by coordinating all candidate interviews’ logistics
- Collaborate with the global and regional Experience Team
Minimum Requirements and Qualifications
- Strong Japanese (native) and English verbal and written skills
- At least 3 years of working experience, primarily with businesses located in Japan
- Experience in hospitality, theatre or stage production or a ‘concierge’ type of role in a design studio, creative consultancy or corporate environment
- The ability and desire to work with a variety of needs and personalities
- A true customer-service attitude and exemplary time management and organization skills
- Excellent discretion, demonstrating sound judgment in dealing with confidential dialogues and information
- Knowledge of Mac platform, be well versed in Microsoft Office / Google Docs, Gmail and very comfortable using the Internet as a research tool. Keynote, Powerpoint and Adobe Creative Suite is a plus
IDEO values people who are optimistic, collaborative, who take ownership, embrace ambiguity, talk less do more, can learn from failure, and have the want to make others successful.