In a nutshell:
Creative Difference is a new venture borne out of IDEO’s Design for Change studio. It is an enterprise tool used to assess an organization’s creative competencies in the areas of innovation, competitiveness, and adaptability. And, we are in search for a mid-level Software Engineer to manage relationships with our corporate clients and individual users of Creative Difference.
Why is this role important for IDEO’s work?
Our Design for Change studio’s Product Team, based out of our San Francisco office, is looking to scale up its engineering on the Creative Difference product team to streamline the product, iterate on features, and improve the customer experience. It is a small team with a big goal.
Once you are here, you will:
- Build on existing codebase to implement new features, fix bugs, and extend the codebase
- Work on full application stack: front-end marketing site, front-end user application, back-end API, administration, and data modeling and querying
- Work with data analyst to help support their data needs
- Work closely with product owner and team to uncover new customer needs, prioritize tasks, and implement and launch new features
- Collaborate with other developers via code reviews and occasional pair programming
- Collaborate with IDEO’s talented design team to help shape new features
- 5+ years experience working on production quality software in a team environment
- 3+ years experience working on production quality Ruby on Rails apps
- Fluency and comfort working with databases (data modeling, SQL, optimization)
- Fluency and comfort with automated testing (we use Rspec + Capybara)
- Fluency and comfort working with Git
- A passion for readable, extensible, beautiful code.
Above and Beyond
- BS / MS in computer science or related engineering field
- Diving in, understanding, and building on existing codebases is easy
- Taking user feedback, synthesizing user needs, and bringing them to a feature list, design, and implementation is second nature
- Interest in Big Data technologies - Hadoop, Apache Spark, MADLib, etc
- Going from coding to a brainstorm then diving back into code is the perfect day
- Contributing to great visual design alongside world-class designers sounds blissful
- You’re excited to be at IDEO, learn more about Design Thinking, and work amongst super creative people
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO is a place unlike any other. It’s a place where you can solve diverse, complex challenges for our clients or the organization, alongside thoughtful, intelligent individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. Sure we work hard, but we also intentionally craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the design process and your career.
IDEO San Francisco’s Design for Change Studio focuses on helping organizations adapt to and drive change. At times we’re redesigning the employee and customer experience, other times we’re helping to build innovation engines within organizations, and sometimes even unifying large companies with a common purpose.
Check out some of our work:
- Creative Difference - We designed a tool to assess an organization's creative competitiveness.
- IDEO U: An online school where anyone can unlock their creative potential through design thinking and collaboration
- OI Engine: An innovation software product, helping organizations engage their people and networks in creative problem-solving online
- Intercorp: Launching an innovation lab to benefit Peruvians
- Team Rubicon: Designing a Global plan for disaster response