IDEO is currently seeking a Business Designer for our London studio. This role requires a unique blend of real-world experience and theory, entrepreneurial passion, and boardroom polish. You will work as a member of IDEO’s interdisciplinary teams to create market leading offerings and ventures for clients.
At IDEO we "think to build." We believe that successful strategy formulation happens when we can launch, learn in context, and iterate. This means understanding the client goals, capabilities and market context, developing insight, exploring and defining opportunities, establishing hypothesis, creating tangible design expressions, testing hypothesis by engaging stakeholders, experts, and users in creative ways, communicating a vision, and helping our clients go to market. All of this is done in a human-centred way, driven by empathy and deep insights into customer behaviours generated through intensive immersion with users, and the design of real world experiments to observe behaviour and measure intent.
Once you are here you will:
- Generate new design opportunities by thinking creatively about financial impacts, risks, experiments, data,
- Be passionate about trying new things rather than focusing on best practices.
- Collaborate with other designers to hack together new approaches that live at the intersection of multiple disciplines.
- Explore how approaches commonly adopted by start-ups might inform value creation for corporate clients
- Inspire designers through business and entrepreneurial thinking, even without necessarily considering themselves ‘a designer.’
- Several years work experience, preferably in an entrepreneurial / high growth setting, with responsibilities including: value proposition definition, business model design, experiment structuring, live prototyping, data analysis and offering launch.
- Experience taking an idea from theory and analysis into a market launch — either as an entrepreneur, member of a start-up team, or as an intrapreneur (e.g. line manager, product manager).
- A masters degree in business administration is ideal, but not required.
- Comfort with clients, working as a collaborator and advisor, and the ability to confidently and credibly share your point of view and expertise.
- Ability to work in an ambiguous and dynamic environment and comfort collaborating with multidisciplinary design teams in a non-hierarchical organization.
- Ability to take individual ownership to support the collective and make others successful.
- Ability to pull together multiple different, and sometimes conflicting, inputs (data, qualitative feedback, hypothesis, etc.) into a common point of view.
- Ability to coach and teach other designers about business and to help infect the community with an entrepreneurial spirit.
Some previous projects to check out:
Along with a cover letter and resume, please include a response to the following questions with your application. Please keep your solution to 300 words or less.
- What business model inspires you?
- To what industry could you apply the business model to disrupt the existing players?
- How could you prototype the offering?