As an Industrial Designer at IDEO you will create products and experiences that have a genuine impact on people’s lives.
Once you are here you will:
- Join an interdisciplinary passionate group of people who LOVE what they do.
- Work and Play hard
- Be challenged to think more holistically and expand your view on design
- Create product strategies rooted in user insights
- Create spatial experiences where you are physically differentiating product offers or service touch points in a retail setting
- Collaborate with people from different backgrounds such as interaction designers, mechanical engineers, business designers, environments designers and design researchers
- Become part of a culture that lets you both learn and teach while working with people outside of your immediate area of expertise
Some previous projects to check out:
- Node Chair: A reconfigurable, mobile swivel chair designed for today’s high-density classrooms, the Node was created in collaboration with Steelcase as part of their effort to bring campus classrooms up to speed with current teaching and learning styles.
- Automobility: One of IDEO’s core portfolio offerings. Our designers work side-by-side with clients to design for the future of transportation and mobility.
- Brooks Saddle: A Brooks England bike saddle, called the Cambium C17, designed by IDEO using vulcanized natural rubber with a layer of woven organic cotton fused to the top. The saddle is designed to follow the rider’s movements and deliver immediate comfort.
- You are the best in your field and have a Degree in Industrial Design
- You have 3-5 years minimum of professional experiencee
- You have Human Centered Design at the core of your process
- You are comfortable leading clients and teams through the design process
- You have the ability to gather research data and translate it into a design strategy
- You have experience in designing products or experiences that have both physical and digital components
- You have the ability to generate ideas quickly without a lot of background information or parameters
- Physical and digital prototyping as part of your workflow for exploring new ideas
- Passion and experience around new-to-the-world product innovation
What you should show in your portfolio:
- Strong projects - new products, interesting challenges with unique solutions
- Design process - research, strategy, concept generation, iterations, etc
- Experimental work and explorations (we’d love to see what ended on the cutting room floor)
- Sharing ability to balance client expectations along with design intent
Please include your answer to the following question in your cover letter.
In a paragraph, describe an experience where you had to drastically change your prototype or design approach based on testing and/or feedback from users.
Please submit your resume, cover letter, answer to the above question and relevant work samples. When submitting your work samples/portfolio, please indicate your specific role(s) and contributions for each project presented.