We are seeking a Visual Communications Designer to join our Tokyo studio. We are looking for an individual with strong skills and passion for visual design across different media: our communications designers routinely work on projects that spread across print, packaging and brand identity to projects for screens, devices and spaces.
IDEO Tokyo’s mission is to help Japan renew and reframe its creative and economic leadership position in the world by being a catalyst for change. As part of a small studio that is still starting-up and growing, this person must demonstrate a collaborative working style, great communication skills, and the ability to thrive in a non-rules based environment of innovation.
We are looking for folks with both breadth and key areas of focused expertise: if you're a creative thinker with a strong visual portfolio and a passion for designing beautiful, unique and thoughtful work, we should talk. Strong Japanese and English verbal and written skills are required.
We’re looking for a person with:
- Strong portfolio and elevated sense of design, color and typography: you know the difference between “good” and “great” and are able to work through team dynamics, clients and timelines to deliver excellent design
- User centered perspective: You understand and can articulate a human-centered approach to design and be comfortable going out into the world for inspiration.
- Team skills: You work best in a participatory, team-based environment. You support and inspire teams through collaboration as well as direction, vision, and planning of all aspects of visual deliverables.
- Communication skills: You have strong verbal and visual presentation skills. You demonstrate a clear “point-of-view” relating to their design. You understand the value of design and brand within a business context.
- Prototyping skills: You are ready to learn from failure, embrace an iterative process and you understand that success come sooner with trial and error. You have experience in creating both low and high fidelity design deliverables for print and screen.
- Consulting chops: You should feel comfortable throughout all phases of a project, from translating verbal ideas into visual concepts, through design development and refinement, to creating production-ready artwork.
- Openness: Designers need to be flexible and open-minded, especially working in a start-up office. Successful candidates are optimistic, generative, and open the new ideas and ways of working.
Some previous projects to check out:
- Melon: IDEO helped start-up Melon rebrand themselves and launch a successful kickstarter campaign to fund their breakthrough technology that enables people to measure their brain activity and track their mental focus.
- Chicago Fire: While they’re Major League Soccer champions, Chicago’s a huge sports town, and competition for fans’ attention—and wallets—is fierce. The Fire was having trouble convincing new fans to come to its stadium. Wanting to capitalize on World Cup fever, the club asked IDEO to create memorable marketing campaigns and fan experiences to get more Chicagoans fired up and filling its seats.
- Society of Grownups: Together with Mass Mutual we created a sort of master’s program for adulthood, where the curriculum covers everything from investing in a 401K to having that hard talk about a budget to how to pick good, cheap wine. IDEO helped build the new venture from the ground up—designing a brand identity, a digital platform with some of the most sophisticated financial planning tools in the industry, and a hip brick-and-mortar locale.
- Strong Japanese and English verbal and written skills
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree education in Graphic Design, New Media, or professional equivalent
- At least three year experience in a design studio or creative consultancy
- Fluency with Adobe Creative Suite
- Be self-directed toward excellent work outcomes, comfort level in ambiguous, non-rules based environments
- Excellent discretion, demonstrating sound judgment in dealing with confidential dialogues and information
- Ability to travel occasionally
- IDEO values people who are optimistic, collaborative, who take ownership, embrace ambiguity, talk less do more, can learn from failure, and have the want to make others successful.
Send us a sample* of something that’s good, and send us a sample of something that’s great.
*Not something you created, and no explanation needed.
To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter, portfolio and pop quiz answer. If you have a fresh perspective on your area of focus, identify with our values and would love to contribute to our studio – we would love to see this reflected in your CV or portfolio.