The Latest News
Four International Design Excellence Awards
IDEO and IDEO.org were awarded at total of 4 International Design Excellence Awards by the IDSA (three and one respectively). Winning designs ranged from designing a scalable network of K-11 schools in Peru to an exploration into the future of automobility. Read more about the winners here.
Innova — Gold | Design Strategy
Design Kit (IDEO.org) — Gold | Social Impact
Tempur-Pedic — Silver | Design Strategy
Future of Automobility — Bronze | Automotive + Transportation
Society of Grownups Wins a Core77 Design Award
Five Webby Awards for IDEO
The Webby Awards
Five IDEO projects win Webby Awards and four projects are named Webby honorees across multiple categories. Winning projects include Pillpack, Future of Automobility, Cafeteria Designed for Me, and Society of Grownups. Honorees include Thanks Birth Control, Design Kit, Future of Automobility, and Creative Listening. Two projects also received a People’s Voice Award.
IDSA’s 2014 IDEA Awards
IDEO and IDEO.org were awarded 8 International Design Excellence Awards by the IDSA (seven and one respectively). Winning designs ranged from a new generation of bike saddles for Brooks to redesigning the cafeteria and food system for San Francisco Unified School District. Read more about the winners here.
Food System Redesign for San Francisco Unified School District (Design Strategy)
Spark Camera App (Digital Design)
SmartLife for WSUP, Unilever and GAIN (Social Impact Design)
IDEO + Core77 Design Awards
Core77 recognizes four IDEO projects in its annual design awards. 2014 Runner Up recipients include our work with Brooks on the Cambium C-17 bike saddle and pharmacy market-disrupter PillPack. Notable honorees include redesigning the food system for the San Francisco Unified School District and the Edison light installation for Joie de Vivre Hotels. For more on the award winners, see here.
30 Years, 18 MDEA Awards
Medical Design Excellence Awards
IDEO celebrates its 18th Medical Device Excellence Award (MDEA) for our work with Tria Beauty on the Age-Defying Laser, with Tria’s Hair Removal Laser and Medtronic’s POWEREASE being named finalists. For more on IDEO’s history of delivering impactful, human-centered design to the world of medical and consumer products see here.
IDSA’s 2013 IDEA Awards
IDEO and IDEO.org were awarded at total of 9 International Design Excellence Awards by the IDSA (six and three respectively). Winning designs ranged from a Pilates Reformer to a digital ecosystem for eBay and a new sanitation offering in Ghana. Read more about the winners here.
- Mayor’s Challenge for Bloomberg Philanthropies (Service Design)
- Wrangler Moto for Wrangler (Design Research)
- FutureVision 2015 for eBay (Digital Design)
- Boston Harbor Islands Visitor Pavilion for National Park Service and Boston Harbor Alliance (Environments)
- Allegro 2 Pilates Reformer for Balanced Body (Leisure & Recreation)
- Sitegeist Mobile App for Sunlight Foundation (Digital Design)
- Evocam for Evotech (Social Impact Design)
- Clean Team for Unilever + Water & Sanitation for the Urban Poor (Social Impact Design)
- Clean Team for Unilever + Water & Sanitation for the Urban Poor (Design Strategy)
Sanofi’s Lantus & You Journal Wins Gold MDEA
Medical Design Excellence Awards
IDEO Receives Five Core77 Design Awards
Vodafone and Richard Nicoll’s smartphone-charging handbag design wins the soft goods category in Core77’s 2013 design awards program. IDEO’s work with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (strategy + research), Food Genius (food design), and IDEO.org’s Clean Team project (social impact) were awarded runners-up, while Sunlight Foundation’s Sitegeist received professional notable in the interaction category.
For more on the award winners, read here.
Three Webby Honorees for IDEO
The Webby Awards
Two IDEO projects are named Webby Honorees in the 17th Annual Webby Awards, recognizing excellence on the Internet. Sesame Street’s Elmo Calls App was selected in the Best Use of Device Camera category and Sunlight Foundation’s Sitegeist App was recognized in two categories — Best Use of GPS or Location Technology category and Education and Reference category.
MyFord Mobile Wins IxDA Award
Wounded Warrior Selected in AIGA “Justified” Awards
The AIGA’s “Justified” Awards highlight design’s impact. Entries were judged based on their design attributes and whether their case for effectiveness was clear, compelling, and accessible. Wounded Warrior was one of 18 selected from over 400 great entries. Read the full Wounded Warrior design case study here.
Fast Company's 2012 Innovation By Design Award Finalists
Fast Company's Co. Design
IDEO Awarded Core77 Design Awards
IDSA’s 2012 IDEA Awards
IDEO was awarded 13 International Design Excellence Awards (IDEAs) by the IDSA, with winning designs ranging from an open innovation platform to redesigning women's breast health journey.
- Elmo Calls App for Sesame Street (Web and App)
- Kiosk Consumer Experience Redesign for Redbox (User interface)
- Next Door for State Farm Insurance (Research)
- Next Door for State Farm Insurance (Service Design)
- OpenIDEO for IDEO (Design for the Majority)
- Radically Disruptive Empathy Lunch Workshop for IDEO (Design Research)
- Sacred Care for St. Joseph Health (Service Design)
- Customer Care Strategy for Intuit Quickbooks (Design Strategy)
- Designs On— Packaging for IDEO (Packaging and Graphics)
- eReader Design Language for Kobo (Laptops and Notebooks)
- GE Mammography: Redesigning the Women's Breast Health Journey for GE and GE Healthcare (Design Research)
- Healthy Workplace for Kimberly Clark (Service Design)
- Room Wizard II for Steelcase (Office Equipment)
For more on the winners, read here.