Please apply no later than Friday, December 13th, 2019, 11:59pm ET, 10:59pm CT, 8:59pm PT. No applications will be accepted after Friday, December 13th, 2019, so we encourage you to submit your application well in advance of the deadline.
In a nutshell:
IDEO is in search of Business Design Interns who will work as members of IDEO’s multi-disciplinary teams to create market leading offerings and ventures for clients.
This is approximately a 12-week internship from June - August 2020. Internships are available in our US offices (San Francisco, Chicago, New York, and Cambridge). On the application you will be asked to select your top office choice(s). Internships in our non-US offices will have a separate application and process (London and Munich applications will open in January 2020).
Application requirements and instructions:
The application asks for three documents. All three documents are required for your application to be considered.
- Cover Letter explaining why you are interested in the internship
- Project Snapshots. 3 pages max. Instructions for a project snapshot are included below.
What is a project snapshot?
We would like to get a more holistic understanding of your industry experience and past work. Below we offer up three moments, for each moment choose a different project that speaks to the prompt and tells us about how you approached the situation. The goal is not to review the entire project, but provide only the context needed to focus on this moment in particular.
- A moment of balancing human desires with business needs
- A moment you communicated a strategy with both qualitative and quantitative data
- A moment you experimented with or prototyped a product, service, or experience in a focused, scrappy way to test an assumption
Remember, this is not to exceed 3 pages. And we are most interested in the substance of your answers, and not the aesthetics of your submission.
Examples of what Business Design Interns may work on over the summer
- Designing a profitable new product, brand, service, or consumer experience
- Developing a new business model or venture
- Identifying and developing innovation roadmaps for existing brands
- Creating organizational structures, strategic assets, and operating models to help the client company drive its own innovation
- Designing, leading, and measuring experiments that gather feedback to inspire and improve new concepts
- A minimum of 3-4 years of industry experience in one of these areas: Product Management, Finance, Business Intelligence / Analytics, Retail, Management Consulting, CPG/FMCG, Marketing (Product or Brand), Hospitality, Operations, Human Capital
- MBA or equivalent work experience
- Experience taking offers to market, whether as an entrepreneur or intrapreneur
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- The ability to coach and teach designers about business
What does IDEO offer you?
Business Design at IDEO requires a unique blend of real-world experience and theory, entrepreneurial zeal, and boardroom polish.
IDEO is a place unlike any other. It’s a place where you can solve diverse, complex challenges for our clients or the organization, alongside thoughtful, intelligent individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. We work hard, but we also intentionally craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the design process and your career.
At IDEO, we are committed to the work of advancing diversity, equity and inclusion within our organization and in the world.
Our purpose of having disproportionate, world-changing impact through design is directly connected to our ability to bring many different perspectives to the table. This applies to our candidates, the people we hire, the clients and customers we serve, and the communities we learn from in our research.
As a human-centered organization, we are committed to working with and designing for people of every race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, socio-economic status, physical ability or attribute, religion, national origin, or political belief. We recognize that this commitment requires ongoing work and sustained attention, as well as adaptation to new insights and best practices.
Equal Opportunity Employer
IDEO is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.