In a nutshell
We are looking for a Communication Design Lead who can collaborate with teams to bring brands, stories, services, and experiences to life. The ideal candidate has broad experience in brand strategy, brand identity, and storytelling and can take a media-agnostic approach to applying their craft.
In this role, you’ll collaborate with multidisciplinary teams to tackle all aspects of the design process from user researcher to physical prototyping to communicating the overall project story to the client team.
You’ll be a member of a discipline comprised of visual and written content designers who are able to identify and shape design problems and opportunities, and work through complex systems to design appropriate creative solutions that address the needs and insights of users across a variety of media and contexts.
You’ll have the opportunity to work on a diverse portfolio of projects that may involve experience, interaction, digital product, service, and venture design. Your contributions may take on a variety of forms including brand strategy and identity, editorial, information, motion, packaging, interface, and environmental design.
Once here you will:
- Develop brand strategies to guide the experience a user has with a company, product or service, and lead the creation of the brand identity to express a brand across all touchpoints with users
- Create compelling visual narratives that communicate user stories and our strategic solutions
- Make sense of complex org. charts, business flows and data via information and data visualization design
- Collaborate and lead teams of multidisciplinary designers with backgrounds such as industrial design, interaction design, business design and mechanical engineering to solve problems across a variety of industries
- Create prototypes of different levels of fidelity to help teams determine the design direction
- Be an advocate for exceptional visual design
- Help clients empathize with users by creating deliverables that tell a compelling story
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO is a place unlike any other. It’s a place where you can solve diverse, complex challenges for our clients or the organization, alongside thoughtful, intelligent individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. We work hard, but we also intentionally craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the design process and your career.
Some previous projects to check out:
- Society of Grownups: Together with Mass Mutual we created a sort of master’s program for adulthood, where the curriculum covers everything from investing in a 401K to managing a budget to picking good, cheap wine. IDEO helped build the new venture from the ground up—designing a brand identity, a digital platform with some of the most sophisticated financial planning tools in the industry, and a hip brick-and-mortar locale.
- Future of Voting for LA County: Voting is an important part of a citizen’s life, and IDEO helped the largest voting jurisdiction in the US create an intuitive, accessible voting experience and ballot machine for every type of voter, acknowledging the inherent complexity of the process and diversity of the population.
- Ford Greenfield Labs: Ford Motor Company and IDEO have collaborated in shaping future mobility solutions and formed Greenfield Labs, a collaborative innovation lab practicing human-centered design.
Relevant experience and mindset:
- 7-10+ years communication design experience across a variety of applications and media
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, communications design, or an equivalent degree
- Ability to tackle a diverse and complex set of design challenges and recognize patterns to help develop creative and strategic solutions
- Experience establishing a brand identity, from understanding strategy to creative interpretation and execution; designing visual identities, defining brand architectures and building clear and useful guidelines for implementation
- Strong information and visualization design skills including typography and layout, and a passion for visual design across a breadth of media
- Experience leading projects and working with multidisciplinary teams
- Exceptional communication and production design skills
- Passion for learning and experimenting with new methods to deliver design solutions
- Demonstrated proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite
Please include your answer to the question below in your cover letter.
If you could redesign any brand or digital product/experience/service in the world, what would it be? Why does it need to be redesigned and how would you make it better?
To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter + pop quiz answer, and your portfolio. Your portfolio should include at least 4 examples of work-related projects. In particular, we want to hear about the process involved in developing the design or project.
Equal Opportunity Employer
IDEO is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.