In a nutshell
IDEO in London is looking for a Communication Design Lead who can collaborate with teams to bring brands, stories, services, and experiences to life. The ideal candidate has broad experience in brand strategy, brand identity, and storytelling and can take a media-agnostic approach to applying their craft.
Why is this role important for IDEO’s work?
The communication design team create the largest impact with clients where they can translate complex ideas and concepts, into compelling human centered designs and stories. Bringing ideas to life that inspire, engage and motivate our design teams, our clients and the end users.
As a leader of projects and content you also have the opportunity to guide teams, mentor more junior designers, as well as inspiring our clients and our studio.
Once here you will:
- Use the design thinking process to lead teams of multidisciplinary designers to solve large challenges across a variety of industries. At its most basic this includes research, synthesis, prototyping and concept development, but is revised and evolved to deliver the most value and impact for our clients.
- Be a member of a discipline comprised of visual and written content designers who are able to identify and shape design problems and opportunities, and work through complex systems to design appropriate creative solutions across a variety of media and contexts.
- Lead the storytelling and create compelling visual narratives of our work, clearly communicating what we have made, how it was produced and where it should go
- Develop brand strategies to guide the experience a user has with a company, product or service, and lead the creation of the brand identity to express a brand across all touchpoints with users
- Create prototypes of different levels of fidelity to help teams determine the design direction
- Lead projects teams and contribute towards long term client relationships. Responsible for project budget, administration, and contractors.
- Lead client teams across all design project phases, including how the work can be taken to market.
- Help clients empathise with users by creating deliverables that tell compelling stories.
- Support and mentor junior design talent across the studio
What does IDEO offer you?
Ask anyone in IDEO London why they like working here, and they will say it’s our people and the diversity of projects. It’s a place where you can solve complex challenges for our clients or the organisation, alongside thoughtful, intelligent individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism.
We certainly work hard, but we also intentionally focus on our culture to design events where we pause, create, and connect.
We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work and respect the need for work-life balance. IDEO provides you support and development throughout your time here, while allowing for autonomy in both the design process and in your career.
Some previous projects to check out:
- A Digital Identity for the Royal Academy of Art: Create a digital strategy to help patrons explore the Royal Academy’s vast resources.
- The Future of Digital News: Design a new content platform for the weekday edition of The Times and The Sunday Times for reading on smartphones, tablets, and laptops.
- Designing the Future of Kitchen: Help IKEA envision how people's behaviours will shape the design of the future kitchen.
- Society of Grownups: Together with Mass Mutual we created a sort of master’s program for adulthood, where the curriculum covers everything from investing in a 401K to managing a budget to picking good, cheap wine. IDEO helped build the new venture from the ground up—designing a brand identity, a digital platform with some of the most sophisticated financial planning tools in the industry, and a hip brick-and-mortar locale.
Relevant experience and mindset:
- A strong portfolio of communication design experience across a variety of applications and media
- A track record of leading teams, working with multidisciplinary teams and senior level clients.
- Ability to tackle a diverse and complex set of design challenges and recognize patterns to help develop creative and strategic solutions
- Experience establishing a brand identity, from understanding strategy to creative interpretation and execution; designing visual identities, defining brand architectures and building clear and useful guidelines for implementation
- Strong information and visualization design skills including typography and layout, and a passion for visual design across a breadth of media
- The ability to in crafting compelling narratives utilising print, film and digital mediums
- Exceptional communication and production design skills
- Passion for learning and experimenting with new methods to deliver design solutions
- Bachelor’s degree or higher, in graphic design, communications design, or an equivalent visual degree
- Demonstrated proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite
Please include your answer to the question below in your cover letter (in less than 300 words plus images).
If you could redesign any brand or digital product/experience/service in the world, what would it be? Why does it need to be redesigned and how would you make it better?
To apply, please submit your CV, cover letter + pop quiz answer, and your portfolio. Your portfolio should include at least 4 examples of work-related projects. In particular, please highlight your contribution in the process of developing the design or project.
Deadline is Friday 28th September 2018.
Equal Opportunity Employer
IDEO is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.