In a nutshell:
We’re looking for someone who will relish the opportunity to support potential clients and project teams in translating challenges and questions into opportunities for innovation. This role requires experience with client service skills, design sensibilities, and business acumen. Our work environment appeals to self-directed, flexible team players who can demonstrate great communication skills (written, verbal, and/or visual) and learn quickly.
Why is this role important for IDEO’s work?
As a Senior Business Development Associate, your role is to support our design leaders and fellow business developers in identifying interesting clients, setting-up the right conversations, and shaping projects for our design community. You ensure that we cultivate client relationships in a thoughtful and strategic way, while always prioritizing great design.
Once here you will:
Showcase and develop storytelling skills, strategic thinking, and business know-how. Writing and communication skills are paramount, as is understanding and creating a sense of momentum to drive conversations and relationships forward.
Things you will have an opportunity to do in this role:
- Find the overlap between our clients and IDEO: A key component of your role is to understand what our clients are asking for, what they need, and how that overlaps with IDEO Palo Alto’s craft and business vision. This will be the starting point for shaping engagements and activating teams.
- Contribute your unique point of view: You will be asked to bring your experience and passions to help shape the stories we tell and the work we do. We are looking for someone who has demonstrated a point of view in the following areas: humanizing technology, designing mobility of the future, designing for augmented reality, or venture design.
- Communicate IDEO’s value in compelling ways: Business development is where IDEO’s design and storytelling process begins.
- Scope our digital design work: Digital is paramount to many of our projects, and we need you to quickly grasp the implementation and build process of designing and bringing digital services to market.
- Enable us to work smarter and better: You will support the “business” of doing business development. Qualifying leads, writing proposals, guiding relationships and communications with clients, and navigating the internal processes of scoping projects and assigning teams are all critical to your role.
- Undergraduate degree preferred
- Minimum of 4-5 years of professional experience in a fast-paced environment preferably in a client-facing role
- Client service skills, such as facilitating/public speaking, consulting, and/or project management
- Experience with digital builds and the agile development process, working with development teams, and a familiarity with the process of designing, building and launching digital projects
- Passion for design and its possibilities in the world
- Fluency with Adobe Creative Suite a plus
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO is a place unlike any other. It’s a place where you can solve complex challenges for our clients or the organization, alongside thoughtful individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. Sure we work hard, but we also intentionally craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the design process and your career.
Some previous projects to check out:
A New Way to Vote for the People of Los Angeles
Beyond Cars: Designing Smarter Mobility
Improving Quality of Life for Young Adults with Schizophrenia
Please submit your resume and cover letter explaining why you are a good fit for this role.
Equal Opportunity Employer
IDEO is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.