Why this role is important for IDEO Palo Alto:
As a Senior Communications Designer, you will define, shape, and create identities for some of the most exciting work at our Palo Alto Studio. Through human centered design and fearless experimentation, you’ll uniquely elevate the perception of the products, services and systems we design.
What you will learn:
Palo Alto focuses on creating physical and digital experiences in the consumer, mobility, retail and healthcare spaces (to name a few).
You’ll inspire the creative confidence of your clients, and in turn, your team will push your own creative edge. Alongside multi-talented designers, engineers, developers, researchers and entrepreneurs, you’ll contribute to all aspects of a product vision: initial insights, concepts, sketches and prototypes.
In addition to this, you will also:
- Create impact through human-centered design
- Shape the communication design processes within different types of projects
- Participate and influence all stages of a project, from design research and prototyping to final product and presentation, with a focus on visual communication and storytelling
- Work within a multidisciplinary team and learn to push the visual communication further in unique ways to make that project shine
- Present visual approaches directly to clients and demonstrate how they elevate perceptions of the final product and increase understanding of the product/system/brand/environments, etc.
Designers at IDEO routinely work on a variety of projects that integrate digital designs into spaces, brands, services and products. Working at IDEO means you’ll tackle all aspects of the design process from user research to physical and digital prototyping to helping tell the project story to the client. If you’re a creative thinker with a passion for pixels, love to make graphics move and have a knack for crafting compelling stories keep reading.
Once you are here you will:
- Work on a projects that solve problems across a variety of industries.
- Collaborate with designers with different backgrounds such as industrial designers, mechanical engineers and interaction designers to develop a holistic design for our clients.
- Create looks like/works like prototypes that help tell a project’s story.
- Be an advocate of exceptional design.
- Design websites, apps, and other digital experiences with the end user in mind.
Some previous projects to check out:
- Society of Grownups: Together with Mass Mutual we created a sort of master’s program for adulthood, where the curriculum covers everything from investing in a 401K to having that hard talk about a budget to how to pick good, cheap wine. IDEO helped build the new venture from the ground up—designing a brand identity, a digital platform with some of the most sophisticated financial planning tools in the industry, and a hip brick-and-mortar locale.
- A New Way to Vote for the People of Los Angeles: An intuitive, accessible voting experience and ballot machine for every type of voter.
- Designing the Future Kitchen: A full-size prototype—including a pantry, table, sink, and disposal—that reflects the social, technological, and demographic forces that will impact how we behave around food in 2025, all while preserving the tactile pleasures of the kitchen.
- 3-5 years interaction/graphic design experience across a variety of digital media.
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, New Media or an equivalent degree.
- Experience in concept ideation, design strategy, digital prototyping, and combining graphic design and 3D animation.
- Ability to tell compelling project stories to clients.
- Experience working with designers from different backgrounds and integrating your design ideas with theirs.
- Passion for visual design and learning new methods of designing digital experiences.
- Extensive experience with a variety of graphic design and interactive tools including InDesign, Illustrator, HTML, Flash, and Aftereffects. Bonus points for experience designing apps.
Please include your answer to the question below in your cover letter.
What do you think is the most well-designed website in the world? Why do you like it? If you could make it even better what would you do?
To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter, and portfolio. Your portfolio should include at least 4 examples of work-related projects. In particular, we want to hear about the process involved in developing the design or project. Bonus points if you include 2-3 projects you have worked on for fun.